• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dyes for lacquer?

I like lacquer as a finish and was wondering what dyes work well with it. I especially want to create a small batch of black lacquer. All help is much appreciated.

I like lacquer as a finish and was wondering what dyes work well with it. I especially want to create a small batch of black lacquer. All help is much appreciated.

Go to Jeff Jewitt's site http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

You can click on the menu for colorants and you can go to his general finishing forum to post your question. I use his TransTint dyes often for both tinting and glazing in a finishing program

Tinted lacquer

At my local Paint Mart, I bought 2 oz. containers of the primary colors plus black and brown by "Rudd". These I mix with Deft, and usually just "wing it"
regarding the amount of dye/lacquer ratios. Building coats and visualizing what 'many' more coats will look like, I add a little more red to the brown, or a little more black to the brown, yellow to the red etc.

The light that you use is critical to achieve the desired effect. Under flourescents the colors are dramatically different than under quartz halogen, and different still from outdoor ambient light.

The piece shown here is Myrtle. Four sessions of 3 coats each with sanding to 800 between sessions created a stunning effect to an otherwise plain-jane wood.

Attachments

• myrtlevase3.jpg
    myrtlevase3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 86
Back