1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

EMC vs Weight?

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Mark Jundanian, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    I turned a piece of at least damp if not wet wood recently. After final shaping I sanded it and set it on the workbench to dry, no bag, box or barrel, just in the open air. It is a thick chunky piece. The initial weight was 609 grams +/- 1 and the moisture meter read 14% +/- 1. Over ten days or so the weight has remained stable at 609 g and the moisture meter reads steady at 14%.

Usually I would see weight loss over this much time, but I'm wondering if it's at EMC? On the other hand 14% seems high even for a Chicago summer?

The original piece of maple was waxed wet, but has been sitting in my shop for a year.

2. Tim Connell

Tim Connell

Location (City & State):
    Cameron, Illinois
    Mark Jundanian likes this.
  3. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Thanks! It must have equilibrated in the wax.