1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Face Mask Dust

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Jim Downes, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Jim Downes

Jim Downes

Location (City & State):
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Hi All,
    Does anyone have a cure, or better yet a preventative method, for stopping lathe dust building up on the perspex face shields that are common when turning?

All replies welcomed.

Jim

2. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    There is a product called "Parker's Perfect" ( https://www.parkersperfect.com/ ) that is a very good anti-fog product that also helps keep the lens in your faceshield clear. Works for me.

3. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    Never ever touch the faceshield, and only use a blast of air to remove the dust. Clean the lens with lens cleaner you use for glasses and cotton cloth......and/or individually packaged lens wipes.

-----odie-----

4. Keith Mombourquette

Keith Mombourquette

Location (City & State):
    Ontario Canada
    I had that problem with a new facemask and cleaned it once with a dryer softener sheet. I have not had an issue since. For some reason they seem to hold static more whn they are new.

5. Jim Downes

Jim Downes

Location (City & State):
    Palm Harbor, FL

Thanks to all three of you! I'll give those a shot.

Thanks again!!

6. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I've used Novus 1 on my face shields and it seems to do a decent job.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  7. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Used dryer sheets work great. You still have to blow the dust off but it doesnt stick so it comes.off easily.

8. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    Windex and a microfiber shop towel on a fairly regular basis (I usually have sap in addition to dust on mine, with the occasional unfortunate addition of CA glue). Most paper products (paper towels especially) are abrasive enough to scratch the plastic, so should be avoided.