• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Face shield cleaner?

Have 2 face shields with haze all over as a result of attempting to clean with acetone. Anyone have a good cleaner they use? Any way to get rid of the haze? Thanks for your thoughts. Phil

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I don't know exactly how to get rid of the haze, I suspect that it is the result of the acetone melting the plastic. But you might try using a plastic scratch kit available at an aquarium store. It is basically some light abrasives and sometimes some superfine micro mesh.

As far as cleaning current ones, I use the anti-static spray that is used for lap top displays. It won't scratch, cleans and leaves a static free surface.

Plastic

I use a product by Novus,that they sell in motorcycle shops.They have three different types which might help you.Halsey

Last edited:
The best method I have found for face shields is to get extra replaceable face shields. They are not that expensive. The whole face shield cost around $14 and extra clear plastic shields were around $4-5. I just use window cleaner to clean my face shields. When they get too scratched up I just replace them. I think that polishing out the fuzz the acetone caused would take too long and too much effort.
Hugh

the acetone gave it too much surface damage, you'd have to remove too much material and then work your way to at least 12000grit wet to make it clear enough. Novus is great, comes in 2 or 3 formulas for heavy, medium or fine scratches.
I never use chemicals on mine but soap when I'm done turning, but sometimes i forget to clean them and after that, they are just never as nice.
just throw this one out and call it a lesson learned, but never use harsh chemical on acrylic.
by the way, I have a few Saltwater aquariums, so I am NO stranger to scratch removal. My folks messed up my 90gallon reef and scratched every inch of it with those cleaning magnets because it had sand trapped between the magnet and the acrylic.
took me about 8 hours to get the tank back to new and I did all this with the fish and coral inside, so no chemicals or compounds, just sanding from 600-12000grit.
I can't tell you how many bad words I used during the polishing process.

:D :D

Sascha

Like the others have said, scratch that one. I use good old Windex and a soft cloth, but only after I have used an air hose to blow the dust off. Saw dust will scratch face shields if you scrub it around. Acetone and most other solvents will disolve the surface and cause the haze, some more severely than others. You can also buy face shield covers from Trend, that are tacky on the ends and stick across the main part of the shield and not block vision.

JimQ

Andy Hoyt

In Memoriam
Website
www.downscaledesigns.com
I picked up a faceshield from CSA a few years ago and it has some kind of film on it. When in use just use whatever rag or body part that's handy to wipe the gunk off. When it gets impossible, rinse it off with clean water, let it air dry, and it's as good as day one.

I regularly use my beall type buffing system to buff out scratches on my face mask. A cloth wheel on your grinder and buffing compound will work. Just don't let it get too hot or you'll cause melt damage and that will never come out.

The other option is the replacement lenses. They're relatively cheap and ya gotta figure that the expensive polish kits are for stuff that is too pricey to replace easilly.

Good Luck,
Dietrich

Website
www.woodturner.org
I use clear plastic covers that are made for the Trend Airshield. I use them both on the Trend and on my cheapie faceshields. Once the faceshield gets sufficiently scratched I just replace it with a $4 shield. In between, Windex is used to clean them.

Hi Phil, I too think it may be more work than it’s worth to restore the damage to your shield. The micromesh would repair it but it would be a lot of time. I have used it on my safety glasses with good results.

Like the others I use overlays on my Airstream, I get them 10 at a time from AirwareAmerica. I clean them with Windex also.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6

Good Luck,
George

Website
www.picturetrail.com
i find that a lot of the dust accumulation on them is from static electricity.
i keep a bag of my wife's used dryer sheets in my shop.
after cleaning the shield with windex, i give it a good going over inside and out with one of those sheets .
helps keep it clean longer
works for me . . .
w.y.

Face Shield

Thanks, guys, for all the good info and ideas. I will proceed to solve the problem, and not be such a cheapskate in the future! Phil

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I agree - and a Buble Face Shield Warning

I agree with the others - acetone has trashed the surface and it's not worth the time in trying to restore the shield to optical clarity. I use a Hellstrom face shield with the lower (jaw/neck) protector and always have at least 1 or 2 extra replacement windows on hand. Check Lab Safety Supply (1-800-356-0783) for replacement windows for a range of shield types.
ONE WORD OF CAUTION for users of the BUBLE FACE SHIELDS sold by Craft Supplies - DON'T use water or any solvent at all on the inner surface of this bubble face shield! It is coated with a special material that will get messed-up if ANY solvent at all is applied (even on a damp rag!). Despite what the instructions say, DON'T use anything else but a DRY soft cloth towel to clean this shield! I blow mine out first, and then dust it off with a used T-shirt. I learned this the hard way - and ruined one of these "bubles" - fortunately, the consistently EXCELLENT customer service at Craft Supplies replaced this damaged shield, and topld me to NOT follow the directions that came with the unit, but only use a dry, soft towel.

Back