• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

February 2010 American Woordturner

The first American Woodturner Journal issue of 2010 is in the mail to the membership. Click here for a sneak peek.

10_feb.jpg

Compleat

compleat [kəmˈpliːt]
adj
an archaic spelling of complete used in the titles of handbooks, in imitation of The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 6th Edition 2003. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

We only do Woord turning on the Internet.

No offense, Ed. Couldn't resist the temptation.

Dave: Can you open "normal" thumbnails? If all else fails, try right click and "Open in a New Window."

Attachments

• Feb2010j.jpg
    Feb2010j.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 21
February 2010 American Woodturner

Dave,
It worked OK for me. Check some of the other suggestions made.

Compleat or Complete? I can't wait for the new Journal.

Jerry,
You are correct about the reference to The Compleat Angler. Russ Fairfield cites the book in his article and uses "Compleat" in the title, "The Compleat Woodturner." I think it's a good article, and it is a pleasure to work with Russ.

In this crowd, I figured there would be those who had heard of that famous book. We editorial folks debated at length whether to go with the actual title of Russ' article, with "compleat" as it is, or put the word in quotes (distracting). Just as we suspected, it drew attention . . . of the good sort, I hope.

Lots of good reading inside (IMHO).

--Betty

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I just wanted to express my pleasure with the Feb. American Woodturner. Thank you Betty and thanks you to all of the turners who took the time to submit articles. The Journal keeps getting better and better!

Were You There?

Hope the Were You There? becomes a regular feature. I have noticed the rapt attention from yesteryear is present today.

The Old Photograph

Hope the Were You There? becomes a regular feature. I have noticed the rapt attention from yesteryear is present today.

I like that photo, too. I hadn't thought about running more old photos in subsequent issues of the journal, but doing so is certainly a possibility. There are many to choose from because of the compiling that is being done for AAW's 25th anniversary book. I'll ask John Kelsey (the book's editor) if he has extra photos he would like to share.

But, Charlie, did you notice anything odd about that photo? Need a hint? --Betty

hint

Betty,

But, Charlie, did you notice anything odd about that photo? Need a hint? --Betty
yes, i will take all the hints i can get.

i did not reconize the lathe, and both lathes pictured have spindles on them.
????????????????

Betty, is Manny left handed, or just the lathe? :)
cc

Oops, I just saw how Mannys shirt and turning smock were buttoned...

Clifton, you are correct in your observations. The photograph is backward. No one stands by a lathe with their right hand on the headstock . . . .

Photo came to me that way. Jaime Donaldson first pointed out the error. John Kelsey and I have been having a chuckle at our own expense. :D

Gotta watch those headstocks, pockets and shirt buttons! --Betty

i was hoping someone would do a round robin with names, espically the "back of the heads" people :D

Back