1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Finally started digging into some Black Walnut from January

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Gary Beasley, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    I got my hands on some black walnut at the beginning of the year, included a nice root ball. This is one of the pieces from the haul. Another was a deeper vessel from the root ball has some good sized rifts Im in the process of filling with alumilite. A39727F7-4C84-49CE-9983-34670AC2EAAD.jpeg

2. Kevin Weir

Kevin Weir

Location (City & State):
    Ontario, CA
    Real nice Gary. Is it dry or wet turned?

3. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Our club is going after two on city property already dug up so we can get root ball and all if we want. Don't thing it is as large as yours. That made a nice bowl.

4. John Tisdale

John Tisdale

Location (City & State):
    Dallas, TX
    I would say that's "drop dead gorgeous" - both the wood and the way you oriented the wood for the bowl. Looking forward to seeing pics of the other piece you mentioned.
    I'm about to finish-out a root ball walnut that was harvested close to the OK border - the guy I was with had a slight sensitivity to walnut - with the root-ball, that sensitivity was magnitudes greater.
    My experience is the volatility of the shrinkage/warpage is much greater with root-ball - crazy grain areas that were convex when rough turned become concave. The trick is rough turning to a thickness that accommodates movement and, at the same time, not so thick to avoid cracking - while I know the three-hour boil will not change the warpage, hopefully if will contain the cracking.

5. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    It is dry, second turning. Started out as a way bigger platter but it was so wavy I had to turn off the rim.

6. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    The root ball I got was about basketball sized, with coring I was able to get five roughed bowls out of it and into bags.

charlie knighton likes this.
  7. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    Yes its volatile! I got cracks in the bigger one, almost got them all filled waiting for the long cure time. Thing I like is how the heart and sap wood gets swirled together in the root ball.