• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First aid kits for the shop

Well, for Christmas, my daughter got me a first aid kit from these people. It is probably far beyond my capabilities to be able to use it, but after a fall on my new mountain bike, and scraping a good size patch of skin off of my elbow, I was wondering what should every shop have for safety besides band aids? I guess there are possible additions for first aid care. I don't generally worry about myself if I am out on my bike because my girl friend is an ER nurse, but I don't carry the kit with me.

https://mymedic.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA...nwHcKMwzHC68YIFoM-2XartszkZrun1hoCtKcQAvD_BwE

robo hippy

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Chapter 11 in the AAW's book "Safety for Woodturners," covers first-aid. The book is available to AAW members for download here:

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...turner/Resources/Safety-Materials/Safety.aspx

The Chapter is a reprint of an article from American Woodturner Journal, volume 11, issue 3 (September 1996), pages 42-43.

Also a couple of references from Fine Woodworking (looks like you have to be a member to see the full articles):
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2010/10/28/cutting-edge-first-aid
https://www.finewoodworking.com/1998/08/01/woodworkers-first-aid1

Last edited:
I need to upgrade my first aid kit too. Band-Aids, Neosporin and tweezers are all that are in it now.

Someone in my woodworking club was promoting that first aid kits should contain hemostatic (blood clotting) agents. He had heard about them while attending a class at Mark Adams School of Woodworking. They are meant to help stop severe bleeding, such as from severing an artery. Celox (granules) and Quick Clot (powder or impregnated gauze) are a couple of brands. It might be worth having some nearby in case things go very wrong at the table saw or bandsaw.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Off the top of my head, without going out to the shop to look in my kit....

Clotting agents - I think the sponges or gauze versions would be easier to self-apply than the granules
A bottle of eye wash
Tweezers and a needle for splinters
Gauze pads & tape (I'd prefer the non-adherent pads)
Cold pack
Gloves
Alcohol wipes
If you want to go extreme, a CAT (combat application tourniquet) is made to be self-applied to a limb

And a phone - either a land-line on the wall or a cell in your pocket that is setup with reverse-911 or whatever in your area so they know where you live if you can't tell them

The hemostatic materials are very appealing to have on hand, but they are a secondary treatment. The number 1 recommendation for stopping bleeding is A) direct pressure and B) elevation. If you cut your finger on your saw, put some absorbent material on or around the wound, squeeze directly on the cut, and raise your hand well above your heart. If it's not substantially better in 5-10 minutes and you have some hemostatic material, that would be the time for it. Or if the wound is really out of control and the pressure and elevation are not doing any good at all, you could give hemostatics a go. Though I have some hemostatic material, I've never had pressure and elevation fail, even in my former life. The different materials vary a lot in convenience, effectiveness and cost.

Every shop ought to have clean cloths or a couple mini-menstrual pads to apply to a bad wound. Beyond that our shops and locations are different, so there's not going to be a one-size-fits-all answer. If your shop is 8 feet from the bathroom, you're not going to need as much stuff as you would if the shop were 200 yards out in the back pasture. Personally, out in my detached garage, the first aid kit is a baggie of bandaids which I use a lot, a jar of eye wash, and paper towels if needed. Everything else is just inside the back door.

Dave hits on several things that we don't often talk about--splinters, things getting in the eye, and by all means, some way of hollering for help.

James Hamilton, aka Stumpy Nubs, had a pretty serious hand injury about a year ago from an accident with a grinder/carving disk combo.

He recently posted a video with suggestions for first aid kit contents and for planning ahead so you're prepared in case of a severe injury. Here's a link to the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EmfREhgRw

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
An emergency eyewash station.
1042967_pic_1745px_04-04-2013.jpg

I keep a box of bandaids in the shop, anything more serious and I'll go into the house.

And a phone - either a land-line on the wall or a cell in your pocket that is setup with reverse-911 or whatever in your area so they know where you live if you can't tell them

There have been a lot of good ideas mentioned already, but I think the most important is a telephone. Once you need much more than a bandaid you need help from someone.

I agree with Dave, a landline is best because 911 is automatically notified of the caller's location, which is not always the case with a cell phone. Also I think it might be more difficult to fish out a cell phone from under my fleece vest and smock and then operate a touch screen slick with "red liquid". One of those talking boxes might work if it can hear you over the din of the dust collector and whatever else is switched on.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Also I think it might be more difficult to fish out a cell phone from under my fleece vest and smock and then operate a touch screen slick with "red liquid".
Technology can help with that.
We just had zoom chat with the cousins. One had just gotten an I watch a couple,of months back mostly for use with workout routines during COVID. Last week a fall - nothing hurt but pride - the I watch witnessing the fall asked if it should call 911. Pretty good safety feature for people working alone.

Ole Stumpy is pretty practical.... Have to watch that one a couple of times. I haven't had a Red Cross multi media class in a long time. I do like the suggestions....

My girl friend has 3 bikes I think, one mountain, and at least one road bike. She was an ultra runner, bike racer, and did triathlon. I can catch her in the pool, but when hiking or biking, no chance....

robo hippy

I have some butterfly closures in the house and also the shop. They are good for closing a cut that might wind up needing stitches. I’ve avoided stitches with them on a couple of occasions.

My girl friend has 3 bikes I think, one mountain, and at least one road bike. She was an ultra runner, bike racer, and did triathlon. I can catch her in the pool, but when hiking or biking, no chance....
She sounds terrific. Don't take this the wrong way, Reed, but what the hell is she doing with you? :rolleyes:

No clue, guess I got lucky... First time we went out, I commented to her that I was glad to see that she dressed casual as I was in my formal wear, T shirt and jeans. She commented back, 'Me too, I am actually wearing cloths that don't have any holes in them.' I may have met my match..
robo hippy
Does she have a sister, by any chance?

I guess shop towels and a roll of duck tape don't really qualify as a first aid kit but it's worked for me on several occasions. My shop is in the basement so I don't have far to go to get my injury evaluated by the wife. I also have my cell phone in my pocket if something really bad happens.

No clue, guess I got lucky... First time we went out, I commented to her that I was glad to see that she dressed casual as I was in my formal wear, T shirt and jeans. She commented back, 'Me too, I am actually wearing cloths that don't have any holes in them.' I may have met my match..

robo hippy

LOL so familiar. After having the first date with my now wife, a mutual friend asked her if my T shirt had any holes in it. When she replied that it did not, he said "Oh he LIKES you!"

Back