• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

forstner drilling

I have started to make pepper mills. I usually start with green wood for my turning projects and was doing the same for the pepper mills, using some maple. I was generating a lot of heat during the use of a 1 1/16" Forstner bit and as I withdrew the bit from the piece there was a small explosion of sawdust out of the hole I was drilling. I think I was turning the piece too fast on the lathe. What are the recomended rpms to use with Forstner bits?
I can see how a piece could blow up during this process if the temperature gets to high. I have turned the speed down to about 400 rpm but this still may be too fast.

Thanks for your input.

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
400 rpm is fine though I'd suggest a bit slower. When through drilling the body of the mill you should often retract the bit and clean out the shavings to avoid the bit jamming in built up shavings. I've turned hundreds of mills and none have "blown up" though I jammed the bit a few times early in my career.

Here's a tutorial that I wrote regarding peppermill turning:
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_777.shtml

Hope this helps!
Mike

I try to sharpen the forstner bit before each use. With really big forstner bits, a bit of burning and heat can certainly happen. I try to cool, but not quench the bit as I pull it out to remove chips. I'm sure if one really tried, one could get a good ember burning inside there and light their chip pile up - Survivorman Style (or Man vs. Wild style ;) ).

My first experience with drilling pepper mills with a forstner bit was based upon the speed recommendations chart for various size bits. I found that the chart speeds were apparently intended for shallow holes (e.g. mounting clock faces in wooden blocks) and not for deep hole drilling. So I slowed the bit down, WAY DOWN, and began taking a series of shallow cuts, withdrawing the bit, repeating the process until the hole was completed. That worked quite well. Even with that procedure I found that the bit often got hotter than I wanted so I adopted a rule: When I withdraw the bit to clear the shavings (about once every inch or so) and cannot hold my hand on it for more than ten seconds, I let it cool before continuing the process. Since I adopted that procedure I no longer have forstner bits changing color, the smell of burning wood chips in the shop, smoke drifting out of the partially drilled hole, or segmented pepper mills that come apart at the seams due to excessive heat. :eek:

Steam pressure? Usually what it is. The heat forms steam, shavings/dust plug the hole, and it poofs out when the plug is pulled.

While appreciating the desire for smooth interiors, I'd say a good brad point would probably be better for deep boring than a forstner. I like mine better, that's for sure. Forstners aren't really designed for end grain work anyway. Be sure and clear your debris often, and you won't need to worry.

With a hand wheel available to turn at the other end, wondering if anyone has tried an old-style screw-point auger? Might give it a try as soon as the wood's stacked for winter.

I was having a problem with the heat, particularly in green wood, so I started drilling a pilot hole with a 1/2" twist drill. This has made a big difference in how much work the forstner bit has to do, reducing the amount of cutting area by 50%. Hope this tip helps. Kurt

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
I agree with Michael's assesment of Forstner bits intended usage,

MichaelMouse said:
While appreciating the desire for smooth interiors, I'd say a good brad point would probably be better for deep boring than a forstner. I like mine better, that's for sure. Forstners aren't really designed for end grain work anyway. Be sure and clear your debris often, and you won't need to worry.

however I haven't found twist beits sized in 1" or 1 1/16" as inexpensive, inexpensive being a relative term, as Forstner bits. I had been using generic hss bits but have since gone to Freud and Amana carbide, they cut quickly and without problems. The key is taking your time. Don't force the bit and be sure to retract it often, about every 1" to 1 1/2" to remove chips and packed dust in order to avoid overheating the bit and jamming it as well.

I also agree that a perfectly smooth and flawless interior is not needed. I run a shotgun bore brush through mine to eliminate any "hanging chads" and apply sunflower oil.

Mike

Last edited:
First, regardless of what the speed charts for Forstner bits say, I'd use the slowest speed available. As said, Forstner bits weren't invented for end grain drilling. The problem lies with the cleanout chisels cutting straight across the grain; if you've ever cut end grain with a hand chisel and a hammer, this shouldn't be a surprise. Such cutting is best done with a slicing or paring cut without the hammer. Some day, someone will invent a modified Forstner bit with the cleanout chisels in a spiral; those should work better in end grain.

Drilling on the lathe is substantially self-centering. So, I've gotten best results by starting with smaller bits and working up to the desired diameter. This way, the rim cutters are doing most of the work, and they're better at it than the bottom chisels.

When drilling off the lathe, and without self-centering, it gets a little more complicated, because the center point is need for alignment. The way to go here is to drill a shallow hole with the largest size. Then drill a little deeper with the next smaller size, guided by the previous size's divot; and repeat until the bottom is reached. Having established the diameters for each size, work back up to the final diameter with the rim guided by its previous hole. On the forward pass, the bottom chisels don't have to do much work for shallow cutting; and on the backout pass, the rim cutters do almost all of the work. I said it was complicated, didn't I?

In the past year or so, Irwin has introduced a line of triple-flute auger bits, still using the Speedbor trademark. These are just dandy for end grain drilling. Some folk grind off the threads in the auger to prevent grabbing; for a few species, I've found that the threads fill up with dust and then behave as if the threads were absent anyway. Although they might not have the exact size for the final diameter desired, a smaller size near to the final diameter can be used, with a Forstner bit used for the final diameter. Here again, the rim cutters are doing most of the work.

Joe

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
air cool your bit

If I'm drilling deeply with a forstner bit.

I blow compressed air into the hole as I'm cranking with the other hand.

this blows the shaving out and cools the bit some too.

I much prefer dilling with bits that have a Morse taper.
very convenient. My 1 1/16 has a #3 Morse taper which fits into my one-way.
1' is the largest I've found with a #2 Mores taper.

I get mine from Wholesale tools. they have a web site.
a 1" bit is $12.

happy turning,
Al

Website
www.turnings.basketryetc.com
The "explosion" was steam as another poster suggested. It'll get your attention if you're not expecting it. lol

The forstner bit needs to be fed slowly and withdrawn to clear shavings as others have pointed out. I do a great deal of cabinetry and other work with deep boring forstners and I've found that a small piece of parafin wax applied to the bit will also ease friction/heat and will burn off as you repeatedly bore and clear so it won't cause issues with gluing/finishing. Applying it to a warm/hot bit makes it go on easier.

A forstner bit needs to follow it's spur in order to stay properly centered. The difference in density of woodgrain can and will cause the bit to walk off center whether on a drill press or lathe even if great care is taken in alignment.
An old trick is to use a small (1/4") slice of dowel the size of the smaller pilot hole to keep the drill centered. Mark and indent with a punch/nail the center of the dowel, slice it to approx 1/4" thick, ease the edge of the dowel with some sandpaper to create a very slight taper and insert it into your pilot hole.

The larger bit's spur will then sit in the indentation in the center of the dowel plug and push it down the hole as you advance the bit. When you bottom out you'll have a slight increase in resistance. A little more pressure and you'll grind up the bit of dowel and you're done. Works with both a lathe or drill press.

Hope this helps
Jim

Another way to get forstners to cut clean is to spray the warm bit with PAM. The same spray you use on bandsaw blades to make them run smoother and quieter. PAM, normally found in your pantry. This idea came from one of the great bandsaw masters who now packages his own vegetable based lubricant for wood cutting tools.

Thanks for all the information everybody. I enjoyed the tutorial on making pepper mills Mike. It was very clear and well written. I have used the Forstner bit a few more times and find that all the suggestions were very helpful. Drilling a pilot hole and turning slowly, withdrawing the bit every inch or so all seem to help. I haven't tried the PAM yet. The carbide tipped tools also look like they would work. Sharpening the bits was mentioned and I am curious to know how that is done. Martin, do you have any suggestions.

Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Back