• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Frank Sudol

I am just heard that Frank Sudol died the other day. What a pioneer. I am in awe of what he did. Hope many of you will register your love of Frank and his teaching. He made an amazing impact of our work of woodturning.

Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
Sad news

That's very sad news.

He was greatly respected here in the UK, just as he was about everywhere there were turners. Of course I've only ever seen his work in photographs, and obviously never met him, but i've enjoyed looking at his work and reading articles about him from old magazines and books over the last three years. I guess he's left his mark worldwide, which is far more than most of us will ever achieve.

I hope the old guy got to take his gouges with him.

Andy

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Andy,

It is a great loss for all of us. If you can believe it, he was even a better person than he was an artist and woodturner. He could light up a room when he entered it.

The first time I met him was at the first Ohio Valley Woodturners Symposium. Within two minutes I felt like I had known him all my life. His session on creativity change the way I looked at my work.

I am sure going to miss him, and that infectious laugh of his. He was a giant in the field to me.

Best wishes,
Dave

Back