• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

getting started

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
check out a series of new AAW publications aimed at newer turners but useful to all.
All are available in print some are now available in Kindle the other will be soon.

Safety for woodturners
Lathes and Turning Tools
learning at the Lathe
Practical woodturning projects

http://woodturner.org/gifts/

the Safety is more about how to do things. For instance one article 20 ways not to turn a bowl is really about the safe and effective way to turn a bowl.

we have used this book in our chapter meetings.

Al

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al, you need this on DVD.

robo hippy

Reed,
Kindle is sort of the new "DVD" for books.
You can get a kindle app for PC, laptop, most tablets, and Ipad for free.

Kindle distribution is much more cost effective and faster delivery to the customer.
distribution costs for DVDs. Is much more expensive and time consuming
With the cost of production, maintaining an inventory, and postage
The big issue inventory.
Pay for a run of 1,000. Or 10,000 ? How long will they sit on the shelf? When do you reorder?

Last edited:
Well, another way around this, would be to make the video, and post it on You
Tubwith a commercial. I am actually looking into this for my old coring DVD, and my bowl turning video that is still in the works. You get paid per view, and no inventory to carry or ship.

robo hippy

Back