• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinder lights

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Yesterday I received 2 LED light strips from Amazon. I installed them today above the grinder. What a difference! I had one of those "chicken" lights on one and an old desk lamp on the other one. Add a dusty Versaflow film cover to poor lighting and is not an environment conducive to good sharpening. You have to be able to really see what you are doing. I paid an incredibly low price of $29.99 for the 2! Here is the Amazon link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081N5546H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0224.JPG

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, I think that I just spotted a Higgs Boson right there in your shop. :D

View attachment 35787
WOW, I get it now: The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics, produced by the quantum excitation of the Higgs field, one of the fields in particle physics theory. Somehow the LED lights are reflecting on the lens of the iPhone camera. Good catch Bill, I did not notice that!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The LED lights make sense because they typically are pulsed on and off at a high enough rate that you don't notice a flicker. However, LED and fluorescent lights can sometimes have interesting effects on digital sensors in cameras, but I'm still sticking with my Higgs Boson theory. :D

Looks like a nice setup however it may help to make a shield for the fixture to block the direct sight line to the LED lights.

I see you modified your Baldor like I did mine, cutting off a bit of that lip.... I still use the magnetic light from Ken Rizza. Most of the time though, I don't bother. I have enough ambient light to be able to see well enough, and the grinders are by windows. I can do it pretty much by feel now...

robo hippy

Back