• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

H&L Sanding Discs

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
I am a member of the Blue Ridge Woodturners in Roanoke, VA. I also run the club's store where we sell various turning supplies, such as CA glues, end grain sealer, and H&L sanding discs, to our members. The goal of our store is to be able to sell good quality products to our members at less then regular retail prices and to make a bit of a profit for the club's treasury. We do this by purchasing in bulk and negotiating good pricing and shipping costs with our supplies. Currently we would like to seek out a vendor of high quality 2" and 3" H&L sanding discs in a full range of commonly used grits that would be cost effective for our members. Ideally we could purchase these sanding discs directly from the manufacturer and not have to deal with a for profit "middleman" who adds cost to us. Therefore, we are open to any and all suggestions of suppliers of H&L sanding discs that we can contact to see if we can "make a deal." Obviously we will be glad to share what we find out for other turning clubs who operate a "store" for the benefit of their members, or even for individuals. Look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks, Peter Toch

The best disks I have used ( I've tried them all ) are Mirka. I would suggest you contact Steve Worcester at Turningwood.com. He is the supplier for Mirka, and see what he can do for you.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I quite like the Blue Flex disks from Vinces WoodNWonders. I use the Mirka Abranet on my random orbit sanders with dust extraction, but haven't found it so effective on the lathe without the dust collection to clear the mesh.

Also like the green wave disks from WTW; the serpentine edge is often a benefit when sanding into inside curves.

I got a bunch of bargain serpentine edge disks from Klingspor a few years ago, really didn't like them. Too stiff, with a tendency to tear.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
First you have to decide what brands you want to use then contact people that sell those brands.

Steve Worcester has a nice line of abralon too.

Sanding glove - Bruce Hoover is close by. Many many years ago Bruce used to come to the Capitol Area woodturners and sell his products.

3M is a remote possibility. We had a rep do a demo for the Chesapeake woodturners a long time back. They gave us lots of samples and they can hook you up with a dealer that might provide a discount.

vince’s wooden wonders - have used his products in the youth classes at a AAW and have bought some items from his trade show booth.

I've reread the original post and wonder if "directly from manufacturer" means the actual manufacturer of the abrasive, like Norton or 3M, or the manufacturer of the discs like Vince?

I hate to sand so badly that I'm on a quest looking for a manufacturer that sells "sanding pixie dust." I'm not greedy...I'll take any pixie dust option up to 400 grit, and money is no option, if anyone knows of a possible source. I've already checked with Vince...

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I've reread the original post and wonder if "directly from manufacturer" means the actual manufacturer of the abrasive, like Norton or 3M, or the manufacturer of the discs like Vince?

Ideally we could purchase these sanding discs directly from the manufacturer and not have to deal with a for profit "middleman" who adds cost to us
From this sentence, I read it to mean the author seeks to buy directly from the manufacturer. Steve Worcester, Vince Welch, and other vendors are the 'middlemen' he seems to be referring to. I invite the author of the original post to correct me if I am mistaken.

I am a member of the Blue Ridge Woodturners in Roanoke, VA. I also run the club's store where we sell various turning supplies, such as CA glues, end grain sealer, and H&L sanding discs, to our members. The goal of our store is to be able to sell good quality products to our members at less then regular retail prices and to make a bit of a profit for the club's treasury. We do this by purchasing in bulk and negotiating good pricing and shipping costs with our supplies. Currently we would like to seek out a vendor of high quality 2" and 3" H&L sanding discs in a full range of commonly used grits that would be cost effective for our members. Ideally we could purchase these sanding discs directly from the manufacturer and not have to deal with a for profit "middleman" who adds cost to us. Therefore, we are open to any and all suggestions of suppliers of H&L sanding discs that we can contact to see if we can "make a deal." Obviously we will be glad to share what we find out for other turning clubs who operate a "store" for the benefit of their members, or even for individuals. Look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks, Peter Toch
I’m a member of the Central Virginia Woodturners and one of our execs has a deal with a sanding disc outfit, not of sure of which one. Send me a message if you want his name and email.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

Thanks, Peter Toch
From this sentence, I read it to mean the author seeks to buy directly from the manufacturer. Steve Worcester, Vince Welch, and other vendors are the 'middlemen' he seems to be referring to. I invite the author of the original post to correct me if I am mistaken.

All of us are middlemen in that none of us are the manufacturer., the woodturning community is too small to sustain it. Generally, if the public can buy direct from a manufacturer, the "middleman" wouldn't want to carry they product as there's no money it it. Inventory carrying costs is money.

There is direct from the manufacturer, which is calling up Mirka/3M/Norton, etc and placing an order or direct from a distributor, 2 different things. Most of us are buying direct from a manufacturer, but this is a huge number for a club, even a club with 500 members would have a hard time doing it as there are yearly volume ($$$) commitments.
Talk to the "dealer" about it. But before you do, have some numbers of what your expectations are. Talk about what you can do for them, how many members, how much product you are looking for. There isn't anywhere as much money in abrasives as most people think. Think about the variety you want to buy, sizes, mandrels, pads, etc., there is different margins in each and the overall purchase may yield better club pricing.
And how you plan to pay. Time to money is a big factor in big purchases.
Typically the question is can I get a club discount? The question is too vague. Say, our club wants to buy $XXX and want to know what type of discount we can get. if you are a descent size club, tell them ou will put an add in your newsletter as well as buy the product. Repeat business (or potential) helps ALOT.

Back