• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hacked

Ed . . . can you tell us the extent of bLACKHUNTER DZ's intrusion? How far did he get in . . . and . . . did he access any private information? Are you able to stop him?

It's a simple back-door hack allowed by some vulnerability with the version of vBulletin that's being used to enable the forum. No damage has been done, no files removed or tampered with. Fixed with a patch supplied by the vBulletin software maker. It’s apparently a common problem. Long term fix for this vulnerability - probably another software upgrade - will be investigated by John Van D. after he gets back in town.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
all the hack does is get into the templates and replaces the headers and footers on the page with the guys info

Interesting. Verrrry interesting!

Steve suddenly shows up the same day as "the hacker". Coincidence??

Perhaps. ;)

By the way Steve, I got a chuckle from your "Ex-Grand Poo Bah" title.

Whew!

It's a simple back-door hack allowed by some vulnerability with the version of vBulletin that's being used to enable the forum. No damage has been done, no files removed or tampered with. Fixed with a patch supplied by the vBulletin software maker. It’s apparently a common problem. Long term fix for this vulnerability - probably another software upgrade - will be investigated by John Van D. after he gets back in town.

Ed: Iam sure happy he didn't get too far. If he got ahold of a sequential listing of my posts, he might be able to demonstrate that my shiny burl exterior is really a Bondo filled, texturized and painted void!! Whew, can't have that happen!!

Jerry

Kudos to the mod(s) involved getting things operational again.

No question a PITA either way, would this hacker be reputedly one of the gray-hat type that's mostly out to reveal vulnerablilities so admins will give security a bit more attention? Or is it more sinister, but limited this time?

Thank you John Van D for your speedy and most effective effort.
Thank you Ed for straighting me out.
Peter

Hacked!

I was not in the forum until it was repaired and brought back online yesterday. Thanks to you Ed, John, Kurt and all who went into high gear to bring us back into our comfortable existence. John, I guess you now know what an effort this may become. Hang in there.:)

Back