1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Harvey T60-s 8 month review

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Hicks, Aug 19, 2020.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks

Location (City & State):
    Hoodsport, Washington
    I went ahead and ordered a T60-s about 8 months ago. It was on sale for 4,999 (since then has dropped a couple times) I got free shipping by taking to someone at the California location. It arrived well crated and with not a scratch. The lathe is very well made and I was pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. This is the same as the Grizzly go800 with a different motor and electronics.
    The motor is very strong and I had zero trouble coring with the easy core.
    The head and tail-stock lined up perfectly. The live center was a double ball bearing heavy duty cone type.
    I did find the shoulder on the spindle is a bit short for using the set screws on my Nova Titans and Supernova2 chucks. I used a spacer to push them out onto the part of the spindle where they were supposed to line up. I have used the secondary stop/start control many times with live edge bowls with that wicked edge. It is magnetized and holds very well.
    The lathe runs super smooth with a very quiet motor.

Problems:
    1. The banjo has a miss machined bottom that drags on one side. Rather than wait; I just sanded the high spot with some ceramic discs and it works well now.

2.The tail-stock feed mechanism needed to be taken apart and smoothed out with some emery cloth to keep it from being sticky, took a couple hours.

3. The index lock is not visible from the front and I have on a couple occasions started the motor with the thing locked. I was quick to shut it off; but it needs some sort of visible indication that it is locked.

4. No videos on the lathe anywhere! A couple G0800 videos on YouTube that Don't give you much information.

I am over all very happy with this lathe. I use the sliding head-stock quite often and the variable speed works very well, even at low speeds.

They go on sale at even less than the 4,999 that I paid; but it is very sporadic and they don't announce it.
    The mark up on these imports must be huge to make sudden large cuts in the price?

Anyway: if your up in the northwest part of the US and want to check one out; you'll have to come to my shop, because as far as I know, there is not another one in the western side of Washington State. Not to mention that Woodcraft,who is a distributor, does not have one in any of their stores here.
    If I had more $$$, I would have went with the Robust; but I
    am very satisfied with this lathe and have no regrets about buying one.

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  2. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    Boy you guys sure pay a lot for lathes in the USA. I guess we get spoiled up here in Canada with Oneway lathes.
    Glad you like it and it worked out well for you.

3. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    Same problem with my Woodfast lathe. What I've done is make a little "flag" on a magnet. That is attached to the control box when the spindle is locked. Using this method, I don't believe I've accidentally started the lathe while the spindle was locked in over 25 years.....:D

-----odie-----

John Hicks and Lamar Wright like this.
  4. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    I had the same problem, don't know many times that I started my lathe with the spindle locked! :eek:......Now, I always put a piece of red masking tape on the lock switch when it is locked to remind me....:D

odie and John Hicks like this.
  5. Dave Hulett

Dave Hulett

Location (City & State):
    Hot Springs, AR
    never heard of a Harvey lathe. took a look at their website and then re-read your review. I'm not in the market but it looks like nice stuff. Good to know