• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Headstock adapter

I own a lathe with a 3/4 x 10 tpi headstock I was looking for an adapter to convert it to 3/4 x 16 or 1 x 8 Nova sells the adapter to install their Nova midi chuck but it only works with their chuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Not so easy!

The 3/4" - 10 TPI thread size is found in some of the Chinese lathes sold by HF and others. It is NOT the more common 16 TPI found in many smaller lathes. How do I know??? My first lathe, a $79 special at HF.... This size thread, 3/4" x 10 TPI is what you find in common bolts and threaded rod, and also, threaded rod couplers. That lathe does not even have a Morse taper in the spindle!

I have yet to find a commercial adaptor for this size. Needless to say, now I own a Jet Mini and a Powermatic 90.

I made several accessories for my first lathe, all based on the 3/4" rod couplers found at the hardware store. They are just like a long nut. Believe it or not, I managed to make a Jacobs chuck adaptor to hold pen mandrels, and it ran very true! I cut a piece of threaded rod about half the length of the coupler, and ground the ends flat. Then I used JB Weld to secure it in one end of the coupler. Using the Jacobs chuck with a Morse shank in the tailstock and a short drill, I drilled a hole in the middle of the adaptor. Tapped and put a stub 3/8" rod (cut from a bolt) to match the internal thread in the Jacobs chuck. I made many pens using this chuck and mandrel.

You could make an adaptor with a coupler and a 3/4" - 10 bolt. Cut a piece and JB Weld it in one end of the coupler. Then have the unthreaded portion that sticks out threaded to 16 TPI in a metal lathe....

By the way, that HF lathe is just sitting in a corner of my shop out of the way.

challanger said:
I own a lathe with a 3/4 x 10 tpi headstock I was looking for an adapter to convert it to 3/4 x 16 or 1 x 8 Nova sells the adapter to install their Nova midi chuck but it only works with their chuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Packard is up front about the problem with adapters - they will exacerbate the effect of any runout you already have, and/or may induce some themselves. You already know you're not dealing with a highly quality-controlled lathe, so go with a chuck/insert package to keep any error in close and minimal.

Last edited:
The Oneway live center is 3/4x10. They make and sell an adaptor for less than $40. one of the adaptors is 3/4x1 -> 1x8 (that would be Oneway part number 3064).

Good Luck

Richard

Back