1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help with dried wax

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Brandon Sloan, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Brandon Sloan

Brandon Sloan

Location (City & State):
    Victoria, Texas
    This piece was finished with a coat of shellac sanding sealer and three very light coats of lacquer. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to add a “small” amount of wax. The idea was to let the wax dry and then buff it off. Well, it didn’t work out like I had hoped. How do I get rid of the dried up wax without ruining the rest of the finish? I tried steel wool with no luck, I tried buffing it with no luck. Will denatured alcohol work?

Attached Files:

2. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    Well unless you rubbed out and polished the lacquer there isn't much point in using wax.
    The urn in the avatar was sprayed with lacquer sanding between coats, then when no more brite spots showed I sanded to 400 then abrasive wool, then pumice and rotten stone after which the finish should have a smooth sheen. The wax just seals the sheen and the only time I had problems with dried wax is if there is roughness that didn't get filled in.

Brandon Sloan and John Freund like this.
  3. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    mineral spirits will dissolve most wax. use a lint free cloth and just keep lightly rubbing it with mineral spirits. It should come off.

4. Brandon Sloan

Brandon Sloan

Location (City & State):
    Victoria, Texas
    Don, I think you mean “well, when you don’t know what the hell you are doing there isn’t much point in doing it” but thanks for taking it easy on me.

Thank you John! I’ll report back how it works out.

5. Brandon Sloan

Brandon Sloan

Location (City & State):
    Victoria, Texas
    Well, this did the trick. Lesson learned!

John Freund and odie like this.