• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How important is a decompression valve in a chainsaw?

First of all, thanks to all who responded to a previous thread about Stihl chainsaws.
I am looking at the MS260 without a decompression valve, and the MS260 pro with the decompression valve. The MS260 pro is $40.00 more.
How important is the decompression valve on this model? Is is just something else that might need future repairs? Thanks for your imput.

Tom, I have the original starter rope on my Husky, it is 11 years old and I use it to log every year plus my cut bowl blanks. I attribute the longevity to the decompression valve. It is easier on the rope and my arm, I like them on the larger high compression saws.

First of all, thanks to all who responded to a previous thread about Stihl chainsaws.
I am looking at the MS260 without a decompression valve, and the MS260 pro with the decompression valve. The MS260 pro is $40.00 more.
How important is the decompression valve on this model? Is is just something else that might need future repairs? Thanks for your imput.

Tom,

The "pro" designation is more than that decomp valve. It's my understanding that different (more durable) piston rings and other parts are used in the pro version. But the decomp is more than worth $40 by itself; especially on a frosty morning with a cold saw that hasn't been started since October ;)

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
One of the 'must have' options, IMHO...

Tom,

The "pro" designation is more than that decomp valve. It's my understanding that different (more durable) piston rings and other parts are used in the pro version. But the decomp is more than worth $40 by itself; especially on a frosty morning with a cold saw that hasn't been started since October ;)

Mark is quite correct - the 260 Pro has a bit more 'toughness' in the engine Dept. - The decomp. valve and beefier engine components are really worth the extra amount of money (less than 10% of the total list amount of the saw), and over the life of the saw you will literally enjoy the ease of starting. That will add-up to a lot fewer pulls, and more efficient saw use overall. My 260P typically starts on one pull (only two or three when cold) for the past two years that I've owned it. Very reliable.

The Stihl salesman didn't have to say much when I was buying my 260P.... when comparing models, I started both 260 and a 260P saws, and the machines did the convincing for me.

Rob Wallace

Stihl features

Tom,

I recently bought a Stihl 250 that is equipped with their "EasytoStart" system.
My 13 year old grand daughter can start it with ease! (No Valve) I have had several saws with the valve, and used to run crews of sawyers (12 Stihl 440's in the morning...MUSIC!) and most of the time these young hard-body guys ignored the valve. I'd ask your dealer or contact Stihl customer service to get a better idea of which would be best for you.

Either Saw will last you for years.

Tom,

Mark is right. My husky has a decompression valve and my older, smaller Stihl, without decomp requires a lot more effort to pull over when cold. The Pro model is also built to run and cut a lot longer (measured in running hours) that the standard models.

Jake

It is easier to start because it is a huskie. :p

Seriously, the valve makes starting much less difficult. The $40 difference for that asitance is well worth it.

Aaron

Tom, I will repeat what I said in the earlier post and agree with all who voted for it. Basically, the decompression valve becomes more useful as the horsepower and compression ratio increases. I think the additional $40 cost for the pro model is for much better internal construction of the saw and worth the additional cost for wearability. Not that much additional cost to you. Bill

To all of those Husky users, I agree that either brand would be a good saw to own and have a few friends who do own them but only a few!

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Tom, I'm coming in late on the discussion. I have an 026, which is the older version of the 260. Mine did not come with a compression button. I have not seen the need for it, but my arm is a little bigger than most. :D I also have an 046 Magnum, and on that thing, the compression button is much appreciated! There have been a couple of times where I pulled the rope just enough to pop the button, and then gave it another yank. I was never sure which was going to give way first, my shoulder or the engine. But I still have my shoulder. :cool2:

............................................................ There have been a couple of times where I pulled the rope just enough to pop the button, and then gave it another yank. I was never sure which was going to give way first, my shoulder or the engine. But I still have my shoulder. :cool2:

I'm surprised the starter rope held.:p

Back