• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to remove spindle from Delta HD 12" 46-450?

Website
www.bellcreativeinc.com
Just got my new junker today (first lathe)...

The threads are smashed/ruined on outboard side.
So I started wondering if they could be repaired.
Which would necessitate removing the spindle.
One of the helpful members here (from Atlanta) also suggested
replacing the bearings and belts (also means removing the spindle)

First lathe so I've obviously never done it before.
Any body tell me the proper procedure?
(It's got a keyed retainer on outboard side)

I would appreciate it.

JBell

First thing you want to do is go to the Delta web site and try to down load the Owners Manual. http://www.deltamachinery.com/ If that doesn't work, call them for a manual. (800) 223-7278 There should be instructions for changing the belt and bearings and spindle. Also ask them what it would cost for a replacement spindle. It will probably be better to buy a new one rather than trying to fix the old one.

You have a factory service center nearby, 6115-C JIMMY CARTER BLVD.
NORCROSS, GA 30071 770-246-1710. They might even have everything in stock.

JimQ

That was a fine piece of iron. Yours has been mistreated? Couple three questions.

Do you have any reason to doubt the bearings, like play, rumbling or grinding noises? Use a stethoscope or the mechanic's version, a screwdriver with metal to the bearing, wood or plastic to the ear, and listen. No play, no rumble, leave 'em be.

Do you need the outboard threads? I haven't used mine in years, though I still have dual threaded accessories. Lots of creativity possible up to 12" in diameter.

Have you considered an upper link belt which requires no removal, assuming the answers to the above are favorable?

To get you started in your investigations, pending a call to Delta, http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHtml/WL/WL3D.htm Don't be alarmed at the designation, they combine model numbers to the latest. Your spindle lists for $133.47, with no way of knowing what delivery time might be.

The old style 450 is here http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHtml/WL/WL3B.htm and that note A is a killer!

Website
www.bellcreativeinc.com
Thanks for the info...

JimQ-
Thanks for the reference to Norcross GA. They do have items in stock AND at a better price than Ace... EXCEPT for a huge price discrepency for the spindle... Ace $133 Norcross $256 !!???

MichaelMouse-
No play that I can discern by hand.
There is a rumbling when the machine runs but being inexperienced with lathes, I can't tell if it's unusual or not. (no grinding noise or bad sounding noises, just "old machine" noises ?)

Do I really need the outboard spindle threads?
No, probably not but I'd like to fix the machine (one of those things)

I am going to try to order a manual from Delta.
From my tinkering, I found that after I remove the retainer and hand wheel, I can drive out the spindle (towards the bed) with a block of wood and a hammer.
I was afraid to drive all the way out for fear I couldn't get the current bearings back in (since they're pressed in). But that's the only way I could see that a belt could be changed.

I appreciate your help.
JBell

Back