• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

If you need to smile, look here

Maybe I just need better ventilation because it’s clear that the chemicals are effecting my brain. It’s not just the fact that I sprayed this piece with it sitting on a paper towel, I actually picked it up to spray the hard to reach areas and got lacquer all over the bottom. If that’s not enough, I set the damn thing back on the paper towel and let it sit overnight. It’s not even a lesson learned kind of moment because I knew better. Just gotta smile and shake my head. 548A678B-84D1-46FC-8DDC-4DE5C11DB478.jpeg9CFCFCEA-3D3C-4091-8D0C-BBFF040A54DC.jpeg7578E49B-A54D-4380-A185-C784695B4FDA.jpeg6AB086DC-3A24-4D1C-9811-FE2C75C7B863.jpeg

You need to buy name brand paper towels instead of the cheap ones!

Actually what works quite well is nailing plates from the BORG. That was one of the tips in the AAW Gizmos and Gadgets session. They work quite well.

101_1262.JPG
The photo shows a simple painting fixture driven by a rotisserie motor that locks into the dovetail recess and that can be sprayed around then for subsequent coats rotate to a different position.
The simple and best solution is to spray the inside and outside separately.
The way that I have done it with small bark edge bowls is to do the inside as you hold the bowl in your gloved hand then hold the bowl with the fingers of your left hand contacting the bark only to spray the outside. The bowl is then set to dry on triangular strips of wood or nails driven through a piece of scrap, but that too will cause marks in the finish.

Last edited:
Cheap , as in no cost I was going to trash them. Old bandsaw blades, cut to length and fold in v or box shape as you like . Use with the teeth up and do not slam a bowl down onto one DAMHIKT.
You will learn there are many more things to learn in finishing like don't leave lacquer in the gun overnight, but we will save that for another day

View attachment 34523
The photo shows a simple painting fixture driven by a rotisserie motor that locks into the dovetail recess and that can be sprayed around then for subsequent coats rotate to a different position.
The simple and best solution is to spray the inside and outside separately.
The way that I have done it with small bark edge bowls is to do the inside as you hold the bowl in your gloved hand then hold the bowl with the fingers of your left hand contacting the bark only to spray the outside. The bowl is then set to dry on triangular strips of wood or nails driven through a piece of scrap, but that too will cause marks in the finish.

I love seeing these contraptions that wood turners create. Thanks for the ideas!! Some of you guys are real lucky we aren’t neighbors. You’d have to kick me out of your workspace!

Cheap , as in no cost I was going to trash them. Old bandsaw blades, cut to length and fold in v or box shape as you like . Use with the teeth up and do not slam a bowl down onto one DAMHIKT.
You will learn there are many more things to learn in finishing like don't leave lacquer in the gun overnight, but we will save that for another day
Great tip, I sold my bandsaw and have a few worn out blades laying around.

I highly recommend a CatScat Mat from Lee Valley (Item BL662). It works like a field of painters points but in a much denser concentration.

Back