• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Journal

What do members think of the Journal going from 4 to six issues per year? There is a related increased cost clearly. This lead the board to increase the dues by $3/year starting in 2010.
Dale

Website
www.woodturnerlarry.com
I can't speak for all the members but I think it's a tremendous value for $. essentially we're getting two more issues of a magazine that would probably go for $3-$5 on the newstand for only $3. Our members have consistently reported to me that the journal is perhaps the biggest benefit they see from AAW.

I had club members just today to say that they like the quality of the journal and what Betty is doing and they were happy to see it go to 6x/yr.
ED

Good. The Journal will be a few pages smaller each issue at first. But for the year pages will be up 20%. Newstand prices are $7.95 I believe. It was the top request from our members to increase the number of journals. But it was an expensive vote at Albuquerque to do it.

Website
www.abhats.com
I've said this over and over. The journal is what will draw new members, but those potential members are turned off by seeing things way beyond their capabilities, even in their wildest dreams. It's got to generally be toned down to the experience level of those folks we want to become members. I really enjoy seeing serious gallery pieces, but many of my club members have problems making things useful at home. How can AAW be attractive to them?

Walt
That is the continuing problem: What balance of articles to have in the journal. If we have all art articles then the new turners turn off. If we have all "how to" articles the studio artist turn off. Betty Scarpino is working on the mix so there is something for everyone. But with a range of turners from raw beginner to very experienced, it is hard to find the happy medium
Dale

For our club there's a split. I agree that many of the basic turners feel things are beyond them, but there have been a number of more basic projects. We use those basic projects, ie. Nick's Salt Shaker and the Christmas ornaments as part of our quarterly TurnAround where we do hands on with newer turners.

The more advanced turenrs love the more artistic work to push them to further their capabilities.
ED

Website
www.abhats.com
OK, so then a decision needs to be made about what the purpose of the Journal is. If it's to gain members, then there needs to be a refocusing. If it's to tout great turnings and advertise our top 10%, then it's just about there. Whatever it is or becomes is fine by me, but let's be truthful about it.

Walt
From the bylaws of AAW: The journal shall be a chronicle of issues and events related to the traditional and contemporary art and craft of woodturning. The journal shall include commentary, reviews of techniques and designs, advertising, and a broad range of articles associated with woodturning technique and design.
It was clearly not meant to be just a how to magazine. It is to keep record of the current field of woodturning. That covers a large area
Dale

Back