• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Katalox.....allergic reaction

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Last evening, I began final turning of a Katalox bowl. In the process of bringing the stabilized bowl to round, I began sneezing, and running of the nose. This gradually worsened as I worked.....to the point where it became unbearable, and I was forced to quit. I was using a Resp-o-rator while turning.

I will not be finishing this bowl.....and at this point, am not sure what I'll do with it.
katalox allergic reaction.JPG
The small dark spot at about 11 o'clock is where the anchorseal still exists......almost got it to round! o_O

The original bowl blank was roughed February of last year, anchorsealed, and took 10 months to stabilize the MC. Initially, it had a MC of 22%. I don't recall having any problems when it was roughed out.

The Wood Database reports that some individuals experience respiratory problems with this wood.

I'd be interested to hear comments, or from anyone who has experience with Katalox......thanks.

-----odie-----

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Sorry to hear of you have a reaction to this wood.

Most people who have reactions to woods often have prior experience turning the wood reaction free.
A friend developed a allergy to mulberry when he was just cutting a lot of blanks for a class.
He had previously turned quite a few pieces from mulberry over the years.

No expreriencenwith this wood.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Odie, That's a bummer. Hope you're feeling back up to full RPMs soon. :)

Is that Resp-o-rator Niosh certified?

I turn Alaska yellow cedar, which is toxic and most friends who work with have sensitivities. I wear a 3M respirator with a 3M 2097 P100 Particulate Filter, even for roughing. Yellow cedar has a strong smell and I can work for 4 or 5 hours and not even smell the wood at all until I remove the respirator, so I know those pancake filters are dynamite.

Hi Odie, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. I have never heard of Katolax wood before. The wood is beautiful and it is a shame working with the wood made you ill. I was turning some Mimosa wood last month and after I finished rough turning it I took my respirator off I started sneezing soon after and my eyes started watering also. I've read that some wood can cause respiratory problems in some people and Mimosa was on that list. I probably won't be working with Mimosa any more. Take care my friend.

odie, hope you get over feeling cruddy. Allergies can pop up at any time. I have a friend who is a runner developed asthma in his early 40s. I developed a bee sting allergy about 15 years ago. Never had a problem before. Never heard of katalox.
Edit: Looked it up. http://www.bellforestproducts.com/katalox/

odie

TOTW Team
Thank you gentlemen for your concern. I left the shop immediately, and was feeling back to normal within an hour, or so. I don't believe there is any adverse effects, as I've been out in the shop the past few hours.....everything normal again. I did sweep up and could detect the distinctive odor of the Katalox, as I did......but no adverse effect from the sweep up.

Most people who have reactions to woods often have prior experience turning the wood reaction free.

Al, I haven't turned any Katalox before, so I don't know if it would be the same every time. Even so, this wood doesn't work very well, because it's terrifically hard.....difficult to get a good cut. It does have a distinctive color to it, but plain grain......not that impressive, from my point of view. I wouldn't be interested in turning any more of it......even if there were no health risks.....but, because there is a risk to my health, I definitely won't be buying any more of it. :D

Zach, I looked at the Duxterity site, and don't see any certification. It does have dual Hepa filters, though. I believe it's more efficient than the Airstream that I also use on a regular basis.....mainly because the Resp-o-rator seals more efficiently than the latter. It probably is about as efficient as some of the rubber respirators that seal around your face well. :)

-----odie-----

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Did you get a reaction when you roughed it?

That was a prior exposure

Al......If I did, I wasn't aware of it, or might not have connected any reaction I might have had, to the Katalox wood. Any reaction, if I did experience it, was minimal at the time it was roughed. The reaction I experienced yesterday definitely got my attention rather dramatically. I never, in all these years, have been forced to stop turning like this. The big difference in the two "exposures" is the MC was 22% when it was roughed. I didn't check the MC with the meter after it was seasoned, but I'm assuming it's close to around 12%.

-----odie-----

First, glad you have recovered Odie. I have only turned pen blank Katalox and no reaction. I use to turn a lot of exotics when I made pens and never had a reaction. Now the only time I turn exotics is small items such as boxes. For bowls I just turn local woods, although some spalted. I always run my DC when turning even when I turned pens. Doesn't catch chips, but you still generate dust (especially dry wood) and I feel every bit helps.

Odie, That's a bummer. Hope you're feeling back up to full RPMs soon. :)

I turn Alaska yellow cedar, which is toxic and most friends who work with have sensitivities. I wear a 3M respirator with a 3M 2097 P100 Particulate Filter, even for roughing. Yellow cedar has a strong smell and I can work for 4 or 5 hours and not even smell the wood at all until I remove the respirator, so I know those pancake filters are dynamite.

Zach, you must have that 3M thing seriously tight to seal around your facial hair. My friend who works in the quarries in Wisconsin says that they have to wear respirators when they are crushing and company policy dictates "no facial hair" because of leaks.

Back when I was a woodshop teacher I bought a load of some beautiful exotic wood and got a good deal-- can't remember the species. The first time I started ripping some on the table saw most off the class, and myself, started sneezing and coughing. A couple of the kids developed a minor rash as well. Whatever it was, that stuff is probably still stuck up in the class lumber rack-- well sadly no, all the woodshop classrooms are computer labs now.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Odie, glad you are ok. I have never suffered an allergic reaction yet, I did have a 100% sinus blockage that almost needed surgery. I was too lax about dust. That's why I wear my Airstream all the time when I'm in the shop, and now, from Monday on, my new Versaflow! Sorry, I'm still excited about it, LOL

odie

TOTW Team
Update......I put the Katalox bowl back on the lathe today. Worked on it for an hour, or so. Sneezed a couple of times and nose ran a little before I quit. I think I'll be able to finish this bowl, if I work an hour at a time......but, will never purchase another piece of Katalox again. :mad:

I was wearing my resp-o-rator, and nose was plugged.

This piece of Katalox is super hard......very difficult to get a clean cut.

-----odie-----

I think I may be developing a reaction to Mesquite. Lately, my nose clogs up for 24 hours after turning the stuff. I don't have a real respirator, so that's the big issue. But, other species don't seem to do this to me.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
In many cases repeated exposure increases the severity of the reaction.

Many people have turned a species with no reaction and then they get one and they usually get worse. When they try turning the species again

Keep 911 access close in case you get a more serious reaction.

A high school student died in a school where a friend was principle.
He had eaten a nut intentionally for $5 to show how he would swell up.
Tragically a repeated exposure was more severe than he expected.

Last edited:
Anaphylactic reactions (medical term for life threatening allergy) can occur to almost any object or dust or fluid. As Al said you can be fine for 90 years exposure and the at 91 that allergen can make you sick or kill you. As a pharmacist I have seen many but most occur slowly or from childhood. Had a customer once who was allergic to plastic even the plastic on seat covers. It is our exposure to exotic species that usually causes problems not only due to toxicity but also because it is something we are rarely exposed to so we do not know till we try it. Safe way is to protect yourself with good dust collection and at least dust mask (a good one). Even as we have seen here is allergies to domestic species so protect especially if your immune system is compromised .

odie

TOTW Team
Howdy all.......:D

Well, I threw the Katalox bowl back on the lathe this morning.......and, finished it. Was still using my Resp-o-rator, with nose plugged. Almost no reaction at all, other than a very slight nose running. Still have to part it away from the waste block, and finish the foot. Still......I will NOT be purchasing any more Katalox.

My initial reaction to the Katalox was fairly severe, mostly because I didn't realize what was happening, until the reaction became very pronounced. I'm in tune with it now, and will recognize the symptoms immediately......and quit immediately. ;)

Katalox really is a very beautiful wood, and takes a finish exceptionally well......really silky smooth look and feel to it. Too bad, because like I said.....no more Katalox for me. :eek:

-----odie-----

IMG_3780 (2).JPG IMG_3782 (2).JPG

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think I may be developing a reaction to Mesquite. Lately, my nose clogs up for 24 hours after turning the stuff. I don't have a real respirator, so that's the big issue. But, other species don't seem to do this to me.

You don't have to have a powered respirator, but you should be using a mask that is rated N95 or better, preferably better. Here are several suitable masks. The ones with an exhalation valve are the kind to get.

Like a fool, I turned mesquite and other wood for a few years without using adequate respiratory protection. I have the same reaction to mesquite that you do. However, breathing the dust of any wood is a health hazard even though you may not be experiencing any any immediate ill effects. All dust is bad even if it is completely inert. You should also remember to wear your mask when sharpening your tools (assuming you're not using a Tormek). Don't use the cheap "comfort masks ... they're completely useless.

Back