• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Large grip tools

I'm just back for the Doctor and she informed me that I have developing arthritis in my thumbs. I have several sets of Easy Wood tools, both the minis and the large handle sets. Has anyone come across large grip tools that have 2" (plus) diameter handles? They might be unwieldy to control, but it's worth asking.

(After a certain age, it's all "patch, patch, patch)

Thanks in advance.
Ed

After all, you are a woodturner. You have the capability to create any tool handle you want. Buy a handless tool and try out a few variations to evaluate. Once determined making new handles for your current tools should be within your reach.
A small experiment to try first though is to slip a pool noodle over a tool handle you have and see how it affects use.

You could wrap a handle with various materials to increase the diameter to see if it helps. A little cushion on the handles may reduce the impact on your thumbs.

Easy Wood does make handleless versions of their full size tools, but these can only be ordered directly from the company.

I like the swim noodle suggestion. Pipe insulation might also work.

Have the doctor write a prescription for Meloxicam. I take it. Got up one morning and my right thumb wouldn't bend! I take it twice a day; wife takes the same level dosage but only once a day. Wife has it much worse than me.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I turn a lot of the handles for my tools.
As @Gary Beasley said - easy to turn a handle to suit.

using slightly different diameter handles can be less tiring.

also they way I turn I hold the tools loosely and let the tools do the work which reduces stress related to gripping tools tightly.
Easier to hold gouges loosely than scrapers where I have to muscle the them to keep them level.

As mentioned, pipe insulation tubing, OR
EVA fishing grip tubing or wrapping material,
vinyl tubing from the hardware store slid over a standard size grip,
foam or cork tape from the bike store
tennis grip wrap from the sporting goods store, which comes in various materials.​
The swim noodles and most of the pipe insulation I've seen are shiny and potentially slippery on the surface which would make the problem worse.
The wrapping materials, plus Coban or Vet Wrap, could be wrapped over some sort of light weight padding to give a large but reasonably solid grip. The padding/underwrap could be as cheap and simple as strips of rag.

BTW the Arthritis Foundations or your local Occupational Therapist should have info on increasing the size of grips on various implements, including buying ready made specialty items. Hard to imagine big grip turning tools are available, though.

There are things called fatgripz, which might be used for your purpose. Sold via fatgripz.com or Amazon.

Ken

Back