• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laser for Mcnaughton center saver

Does anyone use the laser on this system? I'm just wondering if it's worth it. I just ordered the regular/large system because I got 45 off on crafts supplies. I have the Oneway easy core with two sets of knives, but I have a bunch of burl I would like to core, and it's not all the right shape and size that the easy core likes.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
I built a camera system mine with parts from Lowe's. I think the parts were around $20 and the camera i got off amazon for not much more. It can plug into my phone, tablet or laptop. For me it makes it easier as i am watching a monitor and not watching a red dot on the top of a spinning bowl. I use the camera on my hollowing rig as well.

I have it, and mention it in my video on using the McNaughton. In the pictures they have in the CSUSA catalog, they have it on wrong. I had mine welded onto the handle because it would vibrate loose, and you had to use the same set screws to mount the blades that you use to mount the laser. You can use the laser with the McNaughton hollow form blades as well. As long as the shafts fit, I would expect that any hollowing blade would work as well. I have seen the hollowing and camera set up, and if I was to get into hollow forms, that is how I would do it.

robo hippy

I already have the laser for the trent bosch stabilizer. I'll see if I can get it to fit.

Haven’t tried to mount a laser to mine. I think it might be really difficult to see where the laser was on the bowl top side from where I am when coring. Once you find the right entry angle the blade direction is pretty much set anyway - hard to direct when it gets in a ways.

Chris, I am trying to figure out if your laser set up is bolted onto the whole thing as a bracket on both sides of the handle or some thing else. Also, is that a sleeve around your post to set height? I know Grizzly has a longer tool post than most other lathes.

robo hippy

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
Chris, I am trying to figure out if your laser set up is bolted onto the whole thing as a bracket on both sides of the handle or some thing else. Also, is that a sleeve around your post to set height? I know Grizzly has a longer tool post than most other lathes.

robo hippy

I used a piece of 1" slotted angle iron to bolt the base plate for the tubing on and then bolted it to the handle with screws and nuts to tighten it to it. The height of the post was an issue. I had a member of my turning club that has a metal lathe make me a new post that was taller. He was able to mill the top to fit the turret pretty easily.

If I had the money, I have someone fabricate one from carbon fiber and use that glue that's made for it.

Back