• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lights, have you

Do you think it would be great to use over the lathe? I have a small magnetic base LED, works good for a spot but I would like the whole item turned to be lit up well. I have a 48" LED shoplight about 2 ft above the lathe but it does not light it up like I want.

Harbor Freight has had 48 inch LED lights for as low as $19.95. Got two for the shop. Like them and got two more for the basement.

Do you think it would be great to use over the lathe? I have a small magnetic base LED, works good for a spot but I would like the whole item turned to be lit up well. I have a 48" LED shoplight about 2 ft above the lathe but it does not light it up like I want.
Yes I think it would but you will still need a light to illuminate the inside of a bowl when hollowing.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Costco and other stores sell the 4 ft. LED replacement tubes (FEIT is the brand name) for fluorescent lights at well less that $10 per bulb. Also, you can adapt the IKEA gooseneck LED lights for close-in lighting. Here's a couple of images of the IKEA lamps in use. I modified the base of a small IKEA lamp by adding a circular magnet so I could set it on top of the lathe headstock. In the other image I suspended one of the floor lamps (it was on sale) from the ceiling on a pivot so I could position it wherever I needed precise light. These, along with overhead LED shop lights really make a difference, especially when I am sanding and looking for those small scratches.

Attachments

• ikea overhead light.jpg
    ikea overhead light.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 28
  • ikea lamp base.jpg
    ikea lamp base.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 29
I found a 10,000 lumen led for 59.00 online. I'll have to find where it came from and post it. It's right above my lathe.

Back