• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Limited chapte rmembers

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
It is AAW membership drive season for 2010. We have a population of what I’ll call “limited†chapter members. These are the folks who belong to a local AAW chapter but not to the AAW. They cannot serve the chapter as officers or directors and some chapters activities are limited to AAW members by the chapter.

I would judge that 70-80% of these limited members have the potential to be chapter leaders and would be good AAW members. The in addition to income from dues, AAW and chapters both benefit from having members willing and able to take leadership roles large and small. The 30% minority you wouldn’t want leading your chapter and I don’t want them representing the AAW in any capacity.

How do we reach these individuals with potential and motivate them to join AAW?
I would appreciate any ideas you might have on how to reach this group.

The text from our insurance adviser john Hill:
The AAW chapters include sixteen with 100% AAW membership. The other chapters allow “limited†memberships (chapter only). For a club to be qualified to be an AAW sanctioned chapter with the AAW furnishing liability insurance for the chapter, all officers and directors of that chapter must be AAW members. Only AAW members will be insured under this policy for claims that may be brought against them for bodily injuries that they may have caused to another person while performing a chapter sanctioned activity. Chapter members that are not AAW members who participate in chapter sanctioned activities are not insured for claims that may be brought against them.

Thanks in advance,
Al Hockenbery

Back