• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for Spheres to buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for spheres! Or, more aptly, someone who loves to make spheres! I do personally love to make spheres, but I am a beginner and have a big project in mind and looking for help in amassing a supply. These spheres I seek need to be solid wood (made from local sustainably salvaged wood) and between 8"-16" in diameter. I will most likely need to buy in bulk.
If this is not the right place to inquire about buying actual finished wood products, please direct me to a source to find a woodturner interested in selling their products.
Thanks so much!
Rudy

Rudy,

What species of wood are you wanting the solid spheres to be made of? The larger spheres require sizable wood billets which can be a challenge to source if they need to be dry.
Solid green wood billets can be sourced locally in most regions of the country, the shipping costs get to be an issue for the larger spheres. Are you wanting dry stabilized turned spheres or green wood turned spheres, this also impacts the overall cost on sourcing the raw wood materials for the items to be turned. Laminated solid wood billets are another option which allows the use of readily available flat wood boards glued and clamped under pressure and then turned into stable wood spheres. Green wood spheres will change their concentricity as the wood billet dries over time or they need to be encapsulated to maintain the wood moisture content.

Hi again Mike!
So yeah, I have notice that the size I do want to use is a challenge, both for sourcing and working...
Ideally, I'd like to find someone locally (Portland, Or./West coast), and the species can be the easiest, softest and cheapest to source. (doug fir/cherry/pine?)...
I do prefer dry stabalized spheres, but of course green is ok if local enough to drive to pick up...
I would prefer not to have to laminate, but if a source makes them that way, and the look good, I would be interested.
Thanks so much for your time and expertise in responding to my inquires...I may reach out to you again for advice if you don't mind...
Take care,
Rudy

I am here in Portland as well. I have never tried to turn a sphere as big as you are looking for. I do have a couple pieces I can try that are from local trees. I can also reach out to some other local turners as well. One of the local turning clubs just had a sphere turning demo and challenge, but I didn’t see that anyone did anything as large as you are looking for.
What price range are you looking at?
I attached a picture with some 4-5” white oak spheres I did if you are interested.

Attachments

• 48ACB4E8-FE08-4773-BE05-CBF01620F79F.jpeg
    48ACB4E8-FE08-4773-BE05-CBF01620F79F.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 18
Hi Jason! Thanks for responding!
Definitely been challenging sourcing (and making, myself) spheres that size, but I would be happy with 7.5" and up to 10" (16" is a dream)...As far as price, it's tough to say, but I've seen $50-$100 on some shops...of course, depends on quality, wood type, buying in bulk, etc. Though I would say, I could finish it to smooth finish, so a rough sphere is ok. Anyway, let me know if you want to try, or if you know of anyone in town.
Thanks and take care,
Rudy

I have one done if you are interested. 7 1/2” cherry with some very punky parts that are stabilized with epoxy. Let me know if you are interested. I have a couple pieces of black walnut that I could probably make a few more around this size.

Attachments

• 2E2F14A0-7938-4B07-85B0-05FC6C547AD4.jpeg
    2E2F14A0-7938-4B07-85B0-05FC6C547AD4.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 92A595FE-0A42-48F4-8340-77F2A2D7FE47.jpeg
    92A595FE-0A42-48F4-8340-77F2A2D7FE47.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back