• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magazine Damage Follow-Up

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Rather than continue the longer thread below I thought I would post a new thread.

As I have said, as far as I can see the magazine damage is the fault of the postal service. I would be very surprised if the publishing company is randomly sending out damaged magazines. The AAW is however in a position to begin steps to find out if there really is a problem and then take steps to resolve the issue. The number of members represented on this forum is very small compared to the total.

I would suggest that the AAW put a questionnaire in an obvious place in the magazine to establish first of all if there really is a problem and if there is, gather geographical data (i.e. zip codes). Since I am not familiar with costs, etc. I would suggest that possibly this could also be handled online as the voting is now as well as mail in. If indeed there is a problem, then the data could be used to pin point the sorting stations most at fault. Having ammunition like this would make complaining much more effective.

I seriously doubt that the publishing company would be interested unless it means a loss of revenue.

I've only been a member for little over a year now and have never had an issue with my journal being damges, but it has been late compared to others. I was wonder has it ever been discussed at making it an option to receive the journal electronically? While do like to have the my journal in hand so I can ready anywhere, I have found that having electronic versions as an option (like my "More Woodturning") have benefits too.
  • You can easily storage your issues on CDs or DVDs and once a year you can issue an index to help local specific articles (like "ShopNotes").
  • Delivery time would be the same for everyone and without any damages.
  • Cost savings on printing and delivery.
I know not everyone would like the electronic version, but if only half of the members take the option it could save enough money to produce more issues during the year.

Just my $0.02 and I hope I cannot open a can of worms. :D

Barbara, your suggestion makes sense. But I have to believe if people not on this forum, do not receive their Journal in good condition they would complain to the AAW by mail or phone. The Organization should have at least an inkling of the extent of the problem.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Barbara, your suggestion makes sense. But I have to believe if people not on this forum, do not receive their Journal in good condition they would complain to the AAW by mail or phone. The Organization should have at least an inkling of the extent of the problem.

That may be true.

For the years I have been a member I have never had an issue arrive torn or damaged in anyway.

While I understand the post about an electronic version - I would highly recommend against it as a replacement. The AAW magazine is a wonderful magazine. The reality is membership in the AAW gets you very little to be honest and the magazine makes it worth being a member. The other benefits for the average turner is negligible. I would really like to see more substantial benefits for our money - I really think that it would bring tremendous growth to AAW.

However - with that being said - I would love an electronic version of the magazine available in addition to the paper one. That would be a nice addition to be able to download the magazine (for members only) so we could have both the electronic one and the paper one at our disposal.

Robert

Last edited:
For starters, I have never received a torn or damaged issue of the magazine to my knowledge. As to damage by the postoffice, it seems that we have the dog chasing his tail. First, I don't think that the postal service would do anything but apologize and even if they did do something, it will fall upon the aaw to replace an issue. Doe's not matter who requests the replacement issue, the receiver or the postal service, the aaw gets the brunt of the problem. Maybe we need to encase each issue in heavy cardboard boxes for shipment.
The postoffice is not going to change IMHO. Had to spend 2 sessions at the PO yesterday - 45 min for first and 35 min for second. During the 2nd there were about 40 people in line waiting while only 1 clerk was actually serving the customers. The other clerk messed around with the electronic screens at about 4 stations having no clerks, totally ignoring the waiting customers. That is just the way it is in today's world.

Have a good day everyone!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The USPS already has ample data on periodicals that are damaged in automated mail handling equipment based on millions of periodicals handled. There would not be any particular reason to think that the statistics are different for any particular magazine. It is a simple matter to phone AAW and ask for a replacement if your magazine is damaged in transit.

Even though I subscribe to about a dozen different periodicals, I only recall one instance of getting a magazine that was badly damaged. I phoned the publisher and they sent another one. End of story.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
To the best of my memory I've only had a few issues with bent corners but I have had a Fine woodworking and I think it was Wood magazine that were damaged badly. Most of my mail comes in decent shape.

I always go to the local Woodcraft to see what the cover was intended to look like since I think I've had three copies that weren't damaged in some way. Now that I think of it, if I bought the Journal at WoodCraft I would also have it two weeks earlier.

Maybe there should be an option to pay a smaller membership fee and not get the Journal mailed to me.

Marc

To the best of my memory I've only had a few issues with bent corners but I have had a Fine woodworking and I think it was Wood magazine that were damaged badly. Most of my mail comes in decent shape.

Exectronic version

I would like to see an electronic version if only the ability store copies longer without taking up my entire bookcase. it would also let us print out a copy of the pages we want to take to the shop with us without getting our "PRISTINE" copy torn up. I would still prefer to do my first read of a paper copy. I hate reading on the computer but it would better for recalling an old article. It would also allow the purchase or whatever of old articles that came out before a person joined the AAW.

Vernon

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I can tell you how to solve this.

First, call the post office and tell them how horrible they handle your mail.

Then, if everyone who has a damaged copy of the journal calls the office telling them to send you a new one, there will soon be a tipping point between the cost of bagging or sleeving, and all the new journals they have to send out.

Yes it is annoying, yes inconvenience, yes it gets you riled up, but I guarantee you it will not get solved in any number of posts on this board. Call the headquarters and complain.

651-484-9094

Back