• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Merchant discounts for AAW members?

Website
www.carolevalentine.com
Whatever happened to that? I thought some time ago there was suppose to be a "list" forthcoming telling us which merchants offered discounts to AAW members, but I can't find any such list. They still list discounts as a benefit of membership.

Website
www.carolevalentine.com
Thanks, Ed. I had a new member ask me about how to find the discounts. Since it has been advertised as a benefit of membership, it seems that it would be in the best interest of the AAW the Board to make it good...quickly.

Barbara,
I was wondering the same thing and when do you suppose they are going to inform us about the election results?
Bill

The Board and office staff who where in Chicago for the last several days are just now getting back home - so it'll take a while for whatever came out of their meetings to get sorted out and published. Please be patient...

Ed,
I'm trying not to be negative here but when we are trying to throw Twitter and Face Book stuff into the mix for woodturners perhaps it would be more prudent to better use this venue to keep members updated. I do not understand why an election should not have any results after weeks and why couldn't this board have had a synopsis prepared and posted before they left for home. Perhaps you should have been there and urged them for a report. I believe this site would get better traffic if there was better information from the board in this era of instant communication. Let us use this site and get a lot more members interested in using it. Just mt thoughts on a cool fall day.
Bill

Bill,

I don't make or even influence policy - I'm just a website geek. My guess is that you'll have to continue cooling your heals for a while, as it is now end-of-day Tuesday and no word has come down from management - and tomorrow is a holiday.

BTW, it's my recollection that past Board election results were not published until very late in the year, or even some time in January - had something to do with contacting each of the new Board members, as well as those who were not elected (common courtesy), before anything was announced publically.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Bill,

I don't make or even influence policy - I'm just a website geek. My guess is that you'll have to continue cooling your heals for a while, as it is now end-of-day Tuesday and no word has come down from management - and tomorrow is a holiday.

Me too! Rather thankful for it too.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'll point out the Ed and Steve do influence the board and policy.

We review their reports to the board.
In board discussions "Ed says..... "Steve says.... "I'll check with ....
permeate any discussion related to web and forums
The AAW is fortunate to have them both as well as hundreds of other members willing to tackle various tasks.

The board made a decision to use the Web more effectively and to use it in a way that benefits are moved behind the Members only wall. We still want to leave a tease out there for the non members. however we are giving lots of stuff away to non members. More members keep the dues lower.

As to Board election results. They will be posted on the Web soon and will be published in the next journal. The Journal still remains the AAW official record. For the few of you who read this: You may congratulate Warren Carpenter, Kurt Hertzog, and Jean LeGwin. Three talented and capable individuals.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Regarding the question on Merchant discounts for AAW members - that started this thread, I've decided to remove that note from the list of member benefits on the website until the mechanics of this new program get sorted out. Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this premature statement of benefits has caused.

Last edited:

John Ellis

Board Member
Ed,
I'm trying not to be negative here but when we are trying to throw Twitter and Face Book stuff into the mix for woodturners perhaps it would be more prudent to better use this venue to keep members updated. I do not understand why an election should not have any results after weeks and why couldn't this board have had a synopsis prepared and posted before they left for home. Perhaps you should have been there and urged them for a report. I believe this site would get better traffic if there was better information from the board in this era of instant communication. Let us use this site and get a lot more members interested in using it. Just mt thoughts on a cool fall day.
Bill

I don't want to be negative either, but I totally agree with Bill. If the site were to get the reputation of posting information "instantly," I'll bet the usage would soar. Waiting for the next issue of AW, even six times a year, is way too late in this day and age to get current information about our organization. People just expect to be kept up to date. By the way, I was a Board candidate this year, and I was informed almost two weeks ago. (Not for me to make any announcements, however. :eek:)

My comments are NOT directed at Ed, however. He does a great job.

Website
www.carolevalentine.com
Regarding the question on Merchant discounts for AAW members - that started this thread, I've decided to remove that note from the list of member benefits on the website until the mechanics of this new program get sorted out. Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this premature statement of benefits has made.

Thanks for the response, Ed. I fear that total removal will result in an "out of sight, out mind" state and the "mechanics" will NEVER get worked out. I can see where proof of membership may be a problem with internet, mail and phone orders, but in person purchases should be easy...the member just has to show a current membership card. That would be a start. As thrifty as most woodturners are, it might get you a few members.

Oh, and yeah, Carole's point about verification of membership over the internet versus in person in the store is a good point.
In this gee-whiz age though, maybe a direct link to the store's website from behind the membership "wall" could be made to take care of that? Not that I'm any great shakes with IT stuff, but other sites do it all time. I buy my flour for bread baking that way, thus supporting a website I use occasionally, and I get a small price break as well.
Then again, there may be reasons it won't work in this case.

Well, three posts in a row is unseemly, but I just this morning got an auto email from AAW reminding me to renew.
The email lists merchant discounts as one of the main reasons I should consider doing so.
Sorry, but that's a mess.

Yes, I got that same email. And I renewed, but it's not because of the discounts. It's because folks like you and Ed and so many others carry on thoughtful, meaningful conversations without harping, flaming or arguing.

This website is a goldmine of information, especially for us newbies. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Back