• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Metal question ......

I was looking at Kalia's Kelton hollowing tool with the thin layer of some hard steel welded to another piece of steel.
The question I have is: If I took a piece of a nice 1/8" thick planner blade, and silver soldered that to a piece of O-1 drill rod.....would the heat from the soldering change the hardness of the planner blade steel?
I have made some very nice 1/8" scrapers out of planner blades. Even some thicker planner blades too. But, have never heated them as hot as soldering would take them.
Thanks ahead of time. Another project.......

Several years ago Allen Lacer wrote an article on high speed steel and I believe that grinding until the metal turns blue did not affect the HS hardness.
Another solution may be to drill a hole in the HS so the HS tool tip could be screwed in place. I ordered a solid carbide drill bit on line for about $20.00 and have drilled about 10 holes with it and it does not seam to be any duller than when new.

would the heat from the soldering change the hardness of the planner blade steel?
No, I often braze scraps of HSS to other steel to make a tool.

As already suggested, drilling with a carbide drill and tapping a hole in the shaft is a good alternative.

Why use O-1? Low carbon steel will work just as well and a whole lot cheaper.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You have to heat to red temperatures to silver solder. That wont hurt HSS and wont take the hardness out of it.

That is what I was hoping for. Thanks to all who answered.
I thought I had read that sometime before.......but the mind get old and forgets some stuff.
Thanks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
finally had time to grind some metal. had to hunt up a grinding wheel. CBN doesn't produce sparks. Carbon steel produces yellow sparks that split apart M2 and A11 produces red sparks that dont split apart. Carbide produces very short narrow red sparks similat to the M2 but much shorter and finer. I'm guessing that has to do with the hardness of carbide. I tested both Hunter and easy wood tool carbide.

Back