• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mobile base for 3520B

I've just purchased a Powermatic 3520B with the 18" bed extension and I'm looking for ideas to make it mobile. One criteria is that the lathe must rest solidly on my concrete floor while turning. Somewhere I saw a picture where a club used HF trailer jacks to move their lathe, but didn't make a copy of the picture. Would anyone know where to look?

Do any of you have other solutions as I need to park the car in the garage as well.

I made a cabinet on castors that fits under the lathe. At each end is a scissors jack that raises the lathe so it can be moved. When the jacks are down, the lathe sits on the floor, completely disconnected from the cabinet. With the tools in the drawers, when you move the lathe, the tools move too.

Attachments

• phpT9A1hSAM[1].jpg
    phpT9A1hSAM[1].jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 163
  • phpObJG32AM[1].jpg
    phpObJG32AM[1].jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 156
  • phpDEUDYePM[1].jpg
    phpDEUDYePM[1].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 186
  • phpdQnvRZPM[1].jpg
    phpdQnvRZPM[1].jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 164

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've seen several good methods. One of the best for a lathe that only has to move occasionally is to weld wheels onto some angle iron and then put some bolts on this same angle iron. You crank the bolts down to raise the wheels off the floor. This can be done to give you a larger footprint which really improves the stability of the lathe. The downside is, even if you weld the wheels on so the lathe barely clears the floor it still raises the lathe too much for a shorter guy like me.
My alternative was to make some removeable rollers. The downside of that is I have to use a hydraulic jack to lift each end of the lathe to install the wheels. No more than I have to move my lathe it's not much of an inconvenience. The good side is I put really large wheels on so it's easy to move it over small obstacles or even out on the gravel driveway.

Attachments

• Powermatic-wheels-2.jpg
    Powermatic-wheels-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 134
I also have the system from Craft Supplies and heartily endorse it. It makes it easy to move it around for cleaning. The cost is high but it's well made. I used to use hydraulic lift table from HF to lift under the bed until I built the shelf described in the PM manual. It worked well but you need more room to wheel it around.

Enlightened

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. Now all I need to do is scrape up some more of the green stuff to get to the next level.

Back