• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Monster Hollowing Rig Source ?

Long time back i bought a monster hollowing rig and i just have pulled it out to start using again. I am not sure exactly what size laser to buy for it and do not have a resource to purchase. Does anyone else know where i can get additional laser lights from? and what size they are?
Secondly - I like using the tear drop HSS scrapper bits on the tip of this hollowing rig does anyone have a source for buying that they can recommend ?

Thank you in advance, Dan in Calif

I'll be paying attention to the replies you get, as I have the articulating system from Monster Tools. The owner/manufacturer passed, and the company folded after about 18months after his passing. The boring bar cutter bits 3/16" & 1/4" can be purchased fro McMaster Carr and Enco. The scrapers, I am not sure, but am hoping someone here can shed some light on what will work with the Monster rig, and where they can be purchased.

Teardrop cutters I use are tungsten carbide and are excellent. You can obtain them from Tod Raines.
https://woodturningtoolstore.com/product-category/turning-tools/tod-raines-tools/

As far as replacement Lasers, if you can measure the diameter with calipers, I can make some inexpensive recommendations. I replaced mine with 12mm diameter lasers (costing about $6 for 2) and wired them to a battery box that has an on-off switch. Both from amazon. Much more convenient than that push button with a rubber band contraption.

HSS tear drop scrapers.....You can purchase a piece of O-1 steel the thickness you want and then make your own. Heat them cherry red with a propane torch and cool them in oil. Then into the oven in the house for an hour and they will be good to use.
Other option is to get a used planner blade and cut your own out of that. Really hard to drill a hole.....but you can cut a slot for the bolt.

20210108_202127_resized.jpg Regarding the laser I measured it with calipers to be 8mm x 13 and i think the old specs were 650nm, 1mw that i got from Randy when i first purchased the hollowing rig.
Any thoughts on recommendations ??

Thank you for the responses, I will look into McMaster Carr and Enco......also thanks for the suggestion on heat treating but i had bought some awhile back that were very good and price was reasonable and still looking for a source but thank you.

View attachment 36740 Regarding the laser I measured it with calipers to be 8mm x 13 and i think the old specs were 650nm, 1mw that i got from Randy when i first purchased the hollowing rig.
Any thoughts on recommendations ??

Thank you for the responses, I will look into McMaster Carr and Enco......also thanks for the suggestion on heat treating but i had bought some awhile back that were very good and price was reasonable and still looking for a source but thank you.

searching amazon, "laser 650nm 8mm" I found a few that have 8mm casing diameter. I use 12mm and also 6mm.

Please note: Enco was bought out by MSC. You can find the HSS cutters at a very reasonable price at shars.com as well.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
HSS tear drop scrapers.....You can purchase a piece of O-1 steel the thickness you want and then make your own. Heat them cherry red with a propane torch and cool them in oil. Then into the oven in the house for an hour and they will be good to use.
Other option is to get a used planner blade and cut your own out of that. Really hard to drill a hole.....but you can cut a slot for the bolt.
If you heat them in an oven do it at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour per 1/4" of thickness. This will temper them to roughly the proper hardness.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
Just a thought......
Many turners are moving to the use of a tiny CCD camera - instead of a laser in this application. It may be worth looking to.

Or a USB endoscope camera. I use one that has a mini USB plug that i can connect to any of my android devices. It also came with a mini to regular USB adapter that i now use to connect to my laptop and a 24" monitor. A camera makes it easier to visualize the wall thickness then looking a a dot on the turning.

I tried the camera route but found adding a screen and wires and then having to look at the screen was not for me. I like looking at the piece and the laser allows that. I use just two basic tool shapes when hollowing, a straight tool and a hook tool. Straight tool first then the hook tool to get the shoulder then back to the straight tool to finish. It takes me seconds to adjust the laser each time. I have hollowed enough that I don't have to move the laser around the cutting edge of the tool I know where I am in there and I have my eyes on the piece.

Lasers vs cameras. Lasers +1
1. I already invested in deep hollowing accuracy assistant. I’m not getting any closer to wall thickness with a camera. Not spending the money to find out. If I wish to achieve paper thin walls, then Ill switch to internal light hollowing.
2. Monitors while turning? More clutter and more equipment to protect from flying debris.
3. Lasers vs cameras vs human reaction time to a “catch moment”: when turning larger pieces I would want my vision focused directly on the wood so that my peripheral vision can pick up any incident as fast as possible . Looking up at a camera, for me, would being a partial view of the piece. If something happened I could probably see it on the monitor followed by a the look down at the piece then get out of the way. This is me. I’d rather have that Millisecond more of reaction time.
lasers were a Clever invention. Cameras are even cooler. I can understand the lure. Pass.

Teardrop cutters I use are tungsten carbide and are excellent. You can obtain them from Tod Raines.
https://woodturningtoolstore.com/product-category/turning-tools/tod-raines-tools/

As far as replacement Lasers, if you can measure the diameter with calipers, I can make some inexpensive recommendations. I replaced mine with 12mm diameter lasers (costing about $6 for 2) and wired them to a battery box that has an on-off switch. Both from amazon. Much more convenient than that push button with a rubber band contraption.
Dennis, thanks for the recommendation of my T1 HSS Teardrop cutters.

Thank you to all for commenting - ill pass on the camera stuff and going to stick with laser approach - teardrop cutters again thank you but some are fairly expensive

Regarding camera vs laser - Not sure which responses relate to hand held vs captive/articulated. I have used both laser and camera with a captive system - camera all the way. No pulling the tool out to adjust the laser - cut through one too many projects trusting my eye and experience with the laser. I still use it some hand held, but hollowing something of any size is done with captive and a camera. Screen is out of the line of fire - no chance of taking it out. If by chance I take out the camera (havent had a problem since going to it) its $25-$30 for a new one. 2 wires to connect - takes seconds. Always know where the tool is in any orientation and precise wall thickness. No contest - the camera wins. Wont waste my time with the laser on the captive system. Hand held I do prefer watching the piece vs a screen.

From the responses, its an individual thing. Many things with turning are not right or wrong, but personal preference.

I make my own from high speed steel and drill a 13/64th' hole with a solid carbide drill bit from Morse Cutting Tools that I purchased via Amazon

Back