• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

More details on next years exhibit theme: Rising?

I see that the entry dates for the exhibit "Rising" begin sometime in November and end in February, but no more details than that at the moment.

Can anyone give us a bit more information? I'm determined to get an early start this time... and actually have an entry. I've had ideas for the last two exhibits that never got out of my head.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Jim,

Put the idea into wood!

It is a bit early for details. The same volunteers that are going crazy getting ready for Tampa will post additional information on next year's show most likely a month or so after Tampa. Give them July off to catch their breath and start bugging them in August. If you are coming to Tampa pick the brains of the Exhibition committee for insights.

Each of the shows follows the same general pattern.
There is a jury of 2 or 3 people. You need to submit high quality photos and a couple of sentences linking the work to the theme
Almost every woodturning rises from the table so this should be easy to link almost anything to "rising".
The trick is to catch the jurors eye. A top quality image is a definite plus.

Part of the fun of the show is to see what and how artists link to the theme.

You have probably seen this on the AAW web site for Currents.

Currents” Juried Exhibition
You'll enjoy the creativity on display in the Currents exhibit. As American Woodturner editor Betty Scarpino explained in the forum, "Currents could refer to water currents or perhaps wind currents. Artists could have created something that resembles (abstractly) a seashell that was washed ashore by the ocean currents. Perhaps something that resembles a sail from a sailboat, to be driven by the wind currents. Leaves on native Florida trees decorating a vessel, looking like they were blown there by the wind currents. Or perhaps something stronger, the wind currents of a hurricane that destroyed an object. You'll be amazed at the diversity of concepts and techniques.

Have fun,
Al

Last edited:
Can anyone give us a bit more information? I'm determined to get an early start this time... and actually have an entry. I've had ideas for the last two exhibits that never got out of my head.

Jim, here is the text that will appear in the August issue of the journal, written by the exhibitions committee:

The theme for the 2013 AAW juried exhibition is “Rising†in honor of our symposium host city's name, Phoenix, Arizona. Although the name of the city was inspired by the phoenix, the mythical bird that is reborn from the flames, many things rise—prices, sap, tempers, tides, sun and moon, balloons, and bread, so let your imagination fly! You are encouraged to interpret the theme for yourself, and to use any definition of rising for inspiration.

There are a few guidelines to consider, such as no wall-hung pieces. Full guidelines will be on AAW's website soon, but in general, you can follow last year's guidelines for now.

Have fun and good luck!

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

Thanks for the information.
If possible, could you provide a link to last years "theme" guidelines?

Bernie Feinerman

"Rising" Call for Entries

Until further guidelines are announced and to help get you started, I've re-posted the guidelines that appeared in the Oct 2012 American Woodturner journal for the "Currents" exhibit.

Calls for Entries are listed atop the Calendar of Events page. Simply click on the "Rising" link for additional information as it gets updated.

Sharon Bierman
Interim Webmaster
aaw.sharon@gmail.com
614-899-3755

Website
www.peterrand.ca
"Juried" show "Rising"

How many invitees will be asked to submit? Who?
How many invitees will be accepted?
How many non-invitee pieces will be accepted?
Will the invitee pieces be juried?
Will the invitee pieces have to be relevant to the theme?
In what other way are the invitees and non-invitees treated differently?
Without this information and considering past practice it is difficult to even think about submitting.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
How many invitees will be asked to submit? Who?
How many invitees will be accepted?
How many non-invitee pieces will be accepted?
Will the invitee pieces be juried?
Will the invitee pieces have to be relevant to the theme?
In what other way are the invitees and non-invitees treated differently?
Without this information and considering past practice it is difficult to even think about submitting.

Peter,

I can give answers to some of your questions from a participant point of view.
I have had the good fortune to have been juried into the AAW shows in Fitchburgh(local club jury for the national show), Orlando, Louisville, and Portland.
I was also invited to participate in San Jose and Tampa.

Generally the show is targeted to be 1/3 invitees and 2/3 juried. Numbers vary but usually 10-15 invitees, 25-35 juried.
If there is light turnout of juried submissions, the exhibitions committee will invite more.

Invitee pieces are not juried, the invitee is responsible for shipping to the site, invitee must provide a statement showing relevance to the theme, and invitees do not pay the entrance fee. I know of one invited piece that was rejected as inappropriate.

Getting selected is a great experience. Getting invited is an honor.

The jury process is always an interesting one and skewed with the biases of the jury. That is just the way it is.
One juror will pick a piece the next juror won't.

Any AAW member doing work they are proud of and getting positive feed back, I would encourage you to make a submission.
Not everyone will get selected.
Well done photographs are definitely a plus.

Good luck,
Al

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
An additional thought.

Work that is original and unique is definite plus too.

For example if you are submitting a cowboy hat you probably won't get in unless your name is Michelson.

Derived work is iffy. Some jurors will see it as original others will just focus on element they see as copied.

But again it is in the eyes of the jurors.

Al

Website
www.peterrand.ca
Thanks Al for your info and comment. With the double standard at work, lessened probability for non-invitees, let alone the politics, I won’t give it much thought until luck alone provides a more fair opportunity in a real open juried competition!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thanks Al for your info and comment. With the double standard at work, lessened probability for non-invitees, let alone the politics, I won’t give it much thought until luck alone provides a more fair opportunity in a real open juried competition!

Maybe I am dense but I do not understand your comment.
The show is an open unbiased competition for approximately 30 pieces. Sure each jury may have some bias but that is true with any show.

By "luck alone" are you suggesting a random draw instead of jury?

Help me understand your concern.

Lots of folks get selected every year because some aspect of their submitted work catches the eye of the jurors.

Al

Last edited:
"Rising" and CCC guidelines posted

We have updated the 2014 symposium page with the following:

• Guidelines for "Rising," the juried exhibit. Note that the submission dates for "Rising" are November 1, 2013 through February 3, 2014.
  • Guidelines, unchanged, for the Chapter Collaborative Challenge.
Happy - and SAFE - turning, everyone!

Sharon Bierman
Interim Webmaster
aaw.sharon@gmail.com
614-899-3755

Website
www.peterrand.ca
selection process

I received this information from Binh Pho regarding the jury process for the annual show.

Hi Peter,

On behalf of the Exhibitions Committee, I’d like to respond to the questions you have raised about the process for selecting work for the annual show.

The purpose of the annual exhibition is twofold: to create a strong exhibition that will have broad appeal both to our own audience and the general public , and to inspire our members to make work of the highest quality. Since the first exhibition in 1996, the shows have included un-juried pieces, or work by jurors and invited artists.

Currently, invitees include established or emerging turners from the symposium area, and established turners whose work fits the exhibition theme. Invited artists are not subject to the jurying process, but their work must adhere to the theme and to the same guidelines and standards as the juried artists. Jurors are no longer invited to submit. The total invitee list has averages about 12, in exhibition averaging 40 pieces.

You raised the question of fairness, and I can tell you from personal experience my work was rejected two times before it got accepted in 1999. When I was finally accepted and realized I was in the same show as Bob Stockdale, I felt so excited and honored to have my work shown alongside one of the giants in the woodturning world. It was very inspirational for me and remains a highlight of my woodturning career. Also, I can tell you for a fact that many of the name demonstrators and members of the board past and present have submitted work and been rejected by the jurors.

The jury process itself is very straightforward, and all AAW members are eligible to submit work. The committee chair invites three jurors to select pieces for the show. The jury usually consists of two woodturners and a curator or professional from another art field. While the jurors are different each year, there is a consistent process for selecting work. The jurors independently review the images and entries , all of which are coded for anonymity. During a conference call, they compare notes and advocate for the pieces that they feel best fit the theme of the exhibition, and reflect that juror’s standard of excellence and originality. They are expected to create a balance of different types and styles of work. Within those parameters, the top scoring 28–30 pieces are selected for the show. The jurors ‘ choices are final, and made independently of the committee.

In response to member concerns, only one piece per artist (invited or juried) per show has been accepted since at least 2007.

It's entirely up to the jurors to determine if the submitted works fit the theme and the committee does not interfere with the decision even if we do not understand the jurors thinking. Because the invited artists are sometimes chosen because their work fits the theme, it can seem 'off the shelf.' However, if the committee feels that an invited artist's work does not adequately fit the theme, they will ask the artist to submit a different piece.

I hope this answers your concerns and questions. You may post my reply on the Forum so other can see it if you wish.

Binh Pho

"Rising" - 2014 Symposium Juried Exhibit – Call for Entries

Submissions for the 2014 symposium juried exhibit, "Rising," are being accepted online Nov 1, 2013 through Feb 3, 2014. Learn more, review the Image Resizing Guide, and upload up to three entries. MORE.

Posted by Sharon Bierman
AAW Interim Webmaster
aaw.sharon@gmail.com
614-899-3755

Back