• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ongoing Bandsaw Blade Debate

Okay...I took the leap! After a number of these discussions on different forums regarding bandsaw blades over the years, and Reed Gray saying that the Lennox Diemaster 2 blades are the best for making logs into blanks, [and a couple of others as well] I went ahead and ordered them for both my saws.....an 18" Jet and a 14" Grizzly.

I am looking forward to seeing if they do better than the Woodturners Blade from Highland Woodworking.

I got the 4 tpi, 3/8", .035 blades, made with M42 cobalt from Spectrum Supply. They are twice as expensive, so I'll have to see if they really last that much longer. Depending on who's talking them up, I've heard 5 times longer than carbon blades, and the Spectrum website says 10 times longer.....we shall see!

Reed, I'll either have to thank you in the future, or.............
biggrin.gif

I have been using the Lennox Diemaster blades for several years and they last a lot longer than the ones from Highland Woodworking)IMHO) I cut a lot of logs off the beach that have sand etc..

The teeth on the Diemaster are M42 as well. I would guess that like all metals there are a number of variations of M42. I do know the M42 is what they make the teeth out of on the pallet cutting blades. I have not heard of Spectrum Supply.

robo hippy

I ordered one from spectrum supply as well, 1/2” 3tpi. Pretty good service I thought although the shipping was a little high. Now it’s time to see how it holds up

One thing I have noticed already [only cutting 2 blanks with the Diemaster blade so far] is that the 4 tpi produces more and finer sawdust than the 3 tpi Highland Woodturners blade. I have not had time yet to get into a real heavy sawing session yet, but do hope to do that in upcoming weeks........I'll report on that when it happens.

Another thing, just from visual inspection, the teeth set on the Lennox Diemaster seems to not be quite as wide as the Highlands Woodturners, but that is not by actual measurement, just looking at it, and the difference is barely noticeable by eye, and my eyes are not as young as they used to be, so I could be wrong. Teeth set has to do with how well they clear the saw kerf, which allows for better sawing.

Back