1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Powermatic - First Blood (no, not the movie)

Discussion in 'Woodturning Health & Safety' started by Bill Currier, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Bill Currier

Bill Currier

Location (City & State):
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Yup, finally did it. Got my live center stuck in the tailstock but good. Wouldn't eject. Wouldn't come out with a rod and hammer, either, penetrating oil or not.

Sooooo, I took the tailstock quill out and used a couple of wedges between the center's body and the face of the quill to free it. What wedges, you ask? Why, the only metal wedges I had on hand ... my shop chisels. Two together with the "ramps" opposing worked with one good rap from a hammer. Out it popped!

Unfortunately, one chisel decided to slip right up my finger and slice it open to the bone between the two knuckles closest to the palm. It stopped after hitting the knuckle itself. I barely felt it. But brother did that sucker bleed! I looked down to see blood running (not dripping) out of the cut and all over the bed and leg of the lathe, and onto the floor. A few blood-soaked paper towels later, a disinfecting scrub, peroxide, super glue (one specifically for bonding skin), and steri-strips later I managed to avoid a trip for stitches and I'm all patched up. My wife was kind enough to clean up the sink area, which was ... well ... ew.

Here's what I learned:
    1) Don't use chisels for wedges, stupid.
    2) Don't use a knockout rod that will stick in the end of a hollow taper shaft.
    3) Super Glue bonds skin really well, but it STINGS LIKE A M*#$%(##!
    4) Make sure the taper surfaces are clean and don't get the center stuck!!!!

2. Russ Braun

Russ Braun

Location (City & State):
    Torrance, CA
    Sounds like a fairly normal day in my shop Bill! If you’re not scarring yourself, you’re not trying hard enough, haha!

3. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND
    I've scared myself quite a few times already (newbie). I've learned, albeit slowly... LOL, to NOT cut my fingers alot... mostly. These tools can get quite sharp!!!!!! I've also learned a sharp chainsaw can mangle a finger quicker than I could react/move.

4. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    Glad that you are ok and avoided a trip to the ER.

5. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Although you were able to avoid an ER visit with your recent mishap, you may still want to consult a physician. If the laceration was deep enough to expose bone there is a risk of bone infection, and it would not be unusual for prophylactic antibiotics to be employed.

Russ Braun likes this.
  6. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    To avoid infection, lots of alcohol will work. Taken internally with lots of ice.

7. Bill Currier

Bill Currier

Location (City & State):
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    It's been about 6 days and is almost healed over. Hopefully nothing else will crop up.

8. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    So, was this the live center provided with your lathe, or another one? At our local high school, the students regularly put non-self ejecting live centers in the 2 Powermatics, and they get good and stuck. We've learned to put something solid in between the live center and the tail stock housing, then crank the quill in and the live center pops out, with considerable difficulty, but out.

9. Bill Currier

Bill Currier

Location (City & State):
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    It's the live center that came with the lathe.

10. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    On many centers a wide scraper flat on the ram catches enough of the center to be the perfect something.

11. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    The important thing is that the lathe cleaned up without any unsightly stains on the paint and no rusting of exposed iron. :D

Perhaps we should appoint you to be the forum safety officer. The qualifications include being an expert on the wrong way to do things. I had my turn as safety officer a number of years ago: My Job Application for Safety Officer

Donovan Bailey and Bill Currier like this.
  12. Bill Currier

Bill Currier

Location (City & State):
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Bill, that was an entertaining read! Yes indeed, seems I'm qualified along the same lines. I do look forward to losing my qualifications, but rest assured that doesn't seem to be coming very quickly ...

13. Chris Edwards

Chris Edwards

Location (City & State):
    Lebanon, TN
    Without video, it didn't happen. :)

Just kidding, hope there's no long term injury damage.

14. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    The last time I donated blood like that, the doc asked me when my last tetanus shot was... Errr, I can't remember... Well you need one.

I have used one of the flat wrenches for one of my routers, and back the quill into the tailstock, and then lever it out, which sounds like what Dean did. No clue as to why all the manufacturers don't have the same length quills on the tailstocks....

From an Aussie woodworker, "Anything with sharp teeth eats meat. Woodworking tools have sharp teeth. People are made out of meat."

robo hippy

15. Bill Currier

Bill Currier

Location (City & State):
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Fortunately, when I changed doctors a year or so ago, one of the questions was "When was your last tetanus shot?" My answer: "Dunno, maybe when I was 18 or so??? (i.e., more decades ago than I care to admit)

Got a fresh new shot that day ...

(God, I hate needles.)

16. Bob Sheppard

Bob Sheppard

Location (City & State):
    Wanaque, NJ
    I've always been afraid that, when I've cut myself and got some blood on the wood, someone would like the color and want more.

Donovan Bailey and Tom Gall like this.
  17. Bill Currier

Bill Currier

Location (City & State):
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Good Lord, Bob, what a thought!

On the other hand, have you seen "The Red Violin"?

18. Bob Sheppard

Bob Sheppard

Location (City & State):
    Wanaque, NJ
    Bill-
    I haven't seen the "Red Violin", but I'll look it up. I was a remodeling contractor for 45 years, and have a somewhat warped sense of humor, and a tendency to nick/cut myself fairly regularly. Thus my remark. lol