• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Prickly Pear Cactus Pens Pic and Tutorial

Website
www.TurnTex.com
I know most here probably do not mess with pens but I thought I would share this anyway. A while back I got this wild idea to use cactus to make a pen. Here are pictures of a couple of them.

This is a black resin cactus with satin nickel Baron
BlackPPbaron2.jpg

This one is clear resin with the tube painted black. It has a lot of depth and allows you to see into the skeleton.
ClearCactus.jpg

The props are a piece of the skeleton that I cast with resin.

If you are interested in the process check out the tutorial I wrote here:http://builtbydoc.com/Pens.htm Follow the link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for looking!

Website
www.TurnTex.com
Well, I guess the forum software does not accept IMG codes so I have attached the pics below

Attachments

• Black PP baron2.jpg
    Black PP baron2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Clear Cactus.jpg
    Clear Cactus.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 247
Curtis,

I never would have tjought to use prickly pear. Thoose are great looking pens. I especially like the one made with clear resin, giving the 3-D perspective on the prickly pear.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I like them quite a bit. Nice job! The clear one has a great 3D effect that is wonderful.

I've always been intrigued by the cactus skeletons and have collected a few that now adorn special spots in our yard. I've also collected catus spines that remain in the shape of the barrel after all the other organic material decays away. They stay interlocked with each other! Maybe they could be cast with resin and then hollowed?

Your tutorial ...

I know this was posted quite awhile back but the links to your tutorial no longer work. I am very interested in learning your process and if you still have a copy of that tutorial somewhere I would really appreciate seeing a copy of it. I have been to your web site and have had my name on the list to get some of your pen blanks for over a year now. I know life gets in the way a lot and your busy with other things so that is why I would love to know how to make my own blanks.

Thanks much for any help....

Ed Russell
erussell16@comcast.net

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I saw a program that he did a few years ago where he discussed his cactus pens. About all that I remember is that it was a really messy and somewhat stinky process. I think that since he has developed his business that he may no longer be sharing some of his trade "secrets".

Back