• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Raptor angle setting tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some angle setting tools. I haven't been able to purchase a CBN wheel yet and don't want my angles on my gouges getting out of whack. Seems a little expensive for 10 bucks a piece on Woodcrafts site, so was hoping someone had some they would like to part with for a decent price.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Toss the Raptor jigs far into the darkness of the night and go with 1' PVC pipe to set the V-arm extension distance. See attached photos. Cut PVC pipe to length (trial and error) that sets the V-arm to the proper distance for required grind. Works great with CBN (or similar) grinding wheels because they never change diameter. With a constant diameter grinding wheel and extension of V-arm set by PVC pipe, two of three variables required to reproduce your favorite grind are set. The only remaining variable is the angle of the leg on the Oneway (or equal) vari-grind jig. I have my vari-grind leg more/less permanently set. So, when I want to change grind, all I have to do is pull out the proper PVC pipe, set the V-arm and grind away. - John

PS - Not the originator of this idea. Picked it up on some woodturning forum/website. - J

DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

that would be great if I had CBN wheels, as I um unable to afford them as of yet, I am stuck with the regular wheels that will lose it surface and require me to be able to set it back up on the correct angle from time to time

The most important angle on a gouge is where the nose of the gouge meets the grinding wheel with the flute facing up. That must always be consistent . Once this angle is established, you can always place the gouge against the grinding wheel and make adjustments and use aids as the others described above without having to purchase angle setting jigs.
I have made standard angles by cutting 1/2” dowels about 6” long on the table/chop saw. I have cut every angle that I can possibly use for pennies.(free if you turn your own dowels).
I place the dowel(just like I would a gouge) into my varigrind(at a preset swing) or Ellsworth jig both at a consistent 2 inch depth so that the dowel is tangentially touching the grinding wheel at around 1-2 o’clock (never greater than 3). Then I adjust the slide last.
Optionally, You can purchase a male and female threaded plastic conduit connectors in HD or Loews for about $2. These can be used with a pvc stop block to fine tune the slide distance as the stone wheels wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back