1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement Parts for Pepper Mill

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Dennis J Gooding, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dennis J Gooding

Dennis J Gooding

Location (City & State):
    Grants Pass Oregon
    A friend who runs a restaurant has several pepper mills in which the ceramic grind cone has failed. I have not been able to identify either a replacement for the ceramic grinder pieces nor a whole grinder mechanism that will fit the existing body. Does anyone recognize this unit and know of a source for parts?

Here are some of the dimensions: The rod is exactly 10 inches long and the non-threaded portion has a 3/16 inch square cross section. The maximum outer diameter of the larger ceramic cone is about 0.95 inch including an outer lip about 0.12 inch wide and the maximum outer diameter of the smaller cone is 0.75 inch. Thanks for any help. PepperMilljpg.jpg

2. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    Check craft supply there kit may not be exact to just replace the broken part but you may be able to replace the whole mechanism. You can look at the instructions on there website to get the specs to measure the holes to see if it fits without modification.

3. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    What's the diameter of the hole bored in the lower portion of the mill? It certainly looks as though a standard "made in USA deluxe" mechanism that most places sell would fit (most of the parts look very familiar). If the hole is too small it wouldn't be too bad to drill it out a little bit so that the common mechanism would fit. If it's already too big that's a harder problem.

4. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    I would think a wood grinder would not even be in a restaurant during these Covid times. How do they sterilize those?

5. Dennis J Gooding

Dennis J Gooding

Location (City & State):
    Grants Pass Oregon
    Roger, the first 0.25 inch of the bottom is bored to 1.5 inches. Then the bore steps down to 1.25 inches to accommodate a 1.25 inch OD by 0.97 ID by 0.6 inch L nylon collar that provides lateral support for the outer ceramic grinder cone.

6. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    Ah, so that's probably too big for the typical mechanism that wants a 1-1/16" hole, nothing for the screws to bite into. You could turn a donut shaped adapter, perhaps out of 3/16 or quarter inch BB plywood that would set into the hole and give you a surface to screw the mechanism to. You might have to drill the recess slightly deeper to allow it to fit. An adapter that would set inside the inner hole would avoid that step but require more precise sizing.

All the mechanisms I've used have all wanted 1-1/16" center bore so I can't help with suggesting a different kit.

7. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    It would be easier to plug the hole with a dowel and drill it out to the required size.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  8. Dennis J Gooding

Dennis J Gooding

Location (City & State):
    Grants Pass Oregon
    I was hoping to save myself a bit of work if this was a commonly available grinder mechanism. Thanks

9. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    That is what I was going to suggest. It's not that difficult to turn a stepped plug and then drill the appropriate size holes for a new mechanism.