1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Review of Laguna Revo 1524 and Customer Service

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dale Ensor, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Dale Ensor

Dale Ensor

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville,TN
    Review of the Laguna REVO 1524: The Good and Not-So-Good

I selected the new Laguna REVO 1524 for several reasons: its size, its 1.5 horse power (110V) motor, the ability to adjust the height, center-to-center adjustment, and reputation for quality. The lathe arrived and, using the excellent instructions, was assembled with no difficulties. Out of the box there were two problems detected: a clicking sound coming from the head stock, and a stripped screw head that made it impossible to use the precise position function to align the lathe. I called customer service and, after a nice chat, I sent a picture of the stripped screw and a video of the clicking sound. The customer service rep determined that it was the bearings causing the clicking sound. Laguna send me a replacement screw which allowed me to fix the center-to-center adjustment and replacement bearings. I then requested a tech call me to advise me over the phone on replacing the bearings. After a week or longer with no response, I emailed my contact and received via email a page of instructions for changing the belt and bearings. I found the instructions less than detailed and asked for some additional details. I received a link to a YouTube by Mike Waldt (2017) replacing the belt and bearings on an Axminster lathe. I watched the video, but again did not consider that information to be sufficient. I was originally told that a tech would talk to me about the replacement of the bearings, but later got an email which stated that no tech would be available to talk me through the installation of the bearings due to company policy. I have made several attempts to talk with a tech advisor, but the tech support phone line has a mail box that is full. I also tried by email and got a reply stating that they had done all they were required to do and indicated that my request for tech support over the phone was unreasonable. In summary, the REVO15224 is a solid lathe with good power and is a good size for a smaller shop. However, if you need tech support, I wish you better luck than I had.

Paul Lajoie likes this.
  2. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    I would think if a new machine was shipped to you with a bad bearing they would be fully responsible for replacing that bearing, not you. That was a very poor response and really should be taken to the managers above the customer service peoples pay grade.

Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  3. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    Dale ... You are much too kind ... I would be mad as hell. I don't have a Laguna lathe, but have had major issues with my 2hp Laguna cyclone dust collector. It leaks dust like a sieve (I had to use aluminum duct tape to seal leaks), and I have had major problems with the motor. Laguna was going to charge me about $400 for a motor, but they were back-ordered for 6 to 8 weeks. Wound up buying a motor from a guy in Minnesota for $100. No more Laguna in my shop.

4. Brandon Sloan

Brandon Sloan

Location (City & State):
    Victoria, Texas
    This is pretty sad but expected. I doubt there is anyone working for Laguna in the United States that knows how to change the bearings on a lathe. Technician training at Laguna doesn’t include the trip to China to see how the lathe is put together. If you can read the product specifications page, you are qualified to work for Laguna. Good luck, no doubt you can remedy this without Laguna.

5. Dale Ensor

Dale Ensor

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville,TN
    I purchased the lathe from Woodcraft and sent the review to them but it has not been published. I plan to talk with the local store manager and make him aware of the problems that I have had with customer service. At one point I emailed the tech at Laguna and ask about the hex head size on the screw for the center to center adjustment. I was told it was 3.5mm but it was actually 1/8". I tried to talk with a manager about more detailed instruction for replacing the bearing but just got back an email that said I was the problem and could not be satisfied. I gave up at that point.

6. Damon McLaughlin

Damon McLaughlin

Location (City & State):
    Eastern Washington
    Our local Woodcraft manager does very well to help customers with power tools bought through his store. I would reach out to the manager at the Woodcraft where you made your purchase and ask what their policy is regarding receiving a defective lathe. Maybe he can work with you to exchange it for another lathe. Try asking if he has a Laguna sales rep he works with that can help remedy the issue.

Bill Boehme and Tom De Winter like this.
  7. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    Sounds like someone at the Laguna office just want to be an ass, you dont treat customers like that.

8. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    Wow! I thought Laguna had a better reputation.
    I would try Damon's suggestion.

9. Dale Ensor

Dale Ensor

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville,TN
    Update, I followed Damon's suggestion and talked with someone at the local Woodcraft store. They were surprised and said they would contact Laguna. Yesterday, I got a phone call from Laguna and they plan to send me a new headstock when one is available. Totally different attitude. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Wonderful Dale. That's what should have been done all along.

11. Dale Ensor

Dale Ensor

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville,TN
    Update to my review, I received a new headstock today. I was able to save the shipping container and the old headstock is waiting for pickup by FedEx. The new headstock does not have the clicking sound. I will put it to the test tomorrow.

12. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    Outstanding. Thanks for the update. Faith restored in Laguna.