• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robo rest

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have been turning a lot in the last 3 days and have been sharpening a lot. I have to say I absolutely love my Robo Rest. I still remember how hard it was to change the settings on my old tool rest. This thing locks in dead on every time. Long before I got that rest I set up my Oneway sharpening system. I also have a CBN wheel on one side and slightly worn Aluminum oxide on the other. On the AO side the rest goes all the way in until it stops against the Oneway mounting system. It doesn't on the other side. The instructions say to set the table at 90 degrees and align the 2 marks visually with the wheel. I wanted to be able to exactly duplicate the settings when I change it from one wheel to the other. So what i do is keep a 1/8" drill bit handy. I slide the rest in until the drill bit shank is pinched between the wheel and the rest. That has proven to be dead on so now I can sharpen something on the AO and switch over to the finer CBN and sharpen to a higher grit. Of course I don't do that all the time, usually just when I want to change a grind. I have labeled some of my tools with angle so that I can set the robo rest to that angle and sharpen dead on every time. Sweet. I'm just a really satisfied customer and wanted to pass this tip on. Here is what I'm talking about if you don't know what that rest is.
https://www.robohippy.net/store/

I think the robo rest would compliment my sharpening station very well. I ordered the free standing one on last Monday and got the auto order confirmation but that's it so far. Actually I can't wait to get it.

+1, I also use the Robo Rest and being forgetful also mark my tools. Great product.
I have been turning a lot in the last 3 days and have been sharpening a lot. I have to say I absolutely love my Robo Rest. I still remember how hard it was to change the settings on my old tool rest. This thing locks in dead on every time. Long before I got that rest I set up my Oneway sharpening system. I also have a CBN wheel on one side and slightly worn Aluminum oxide on the other. On the AO side the rest goes all the way in until it stops against the Oneway mounting system. It doesn't on the other side. The instructions say to set the table at 90 degrees and align the 2 marks visually with the wheel. I wanted to be able to exactly duplicate the settings when I change it from one wheel to the other. So what i do is keep a 1/8" drill bit handy. I slide the rest in until the drill bit shank is pinched between the wheel and the rest. That has proven to be dead on so now I can sharpen something on the AO and switch over to the finer CBN and sharpen to a higher grit. Of course I don't do that all the time, usually just when I want to change a grind. I have labeled some of my tools with angle so that I can set the robo rest to that angle and sharpen dead on every time. Sweet. I'm just a really satisfied customer and wanted to pass this tip on. Here is what I'm talking about if you don't know what that rest is.

I give Reed a nod of appreciation about every time that I use it on the grinder. It is one of those tools that are darn near indispensable in my shop now. In fact, I have no idea where my grinder platform is now...tossed in the unused gadget pile I'm guessing.

I looked into making one for the Tormek. The mounting arm/bars are considerably above center, and it is too big of a diameter to be able to make it work as a protractor, which is essentially what my rest and Stuarts are. Still pondering that one, but as near as I can tell, it would involve making a separate mounting arm for the Tormek. That would add considerably to the price. I did send a comment to Tormek about it when asking about their diamond wheels and told them they should make one.

Thanks guys for all the good comments.

robo hippy

I received mine the free standing one. No instructions so I just mounted it dead center on my grinders arbor. The beauty of this rest is the simple design and ease of use plus it's very well built-made to last. It has my thumbs up

There are those who prefer the burr on their scrapers and NRSs to be ground at a negative angle or upside down. I think with the freestanding rest if you slip the pin, in the 90 degree hole, on the frame rather than through the tubes it is about a 75 to 80 degree negative angle. It isn't as close with the Oneway compatible rest, so I slipped a piece of 1/2 inch plywood up against the pins and that sticks out far enough from the yoke to give about a 70 degree negative angle. Need to do some more experimenting with it though.

Dave, I do have a video up about using and setting up the robo rest. I am getting that put up on the store page eventually, and it answers pretty much all questions.

robo hippy

There are those who prefer the burr on their scrapers and NRSs to be ground at a negative angle or upside down. I think with the freestanding rest if you slip the pin, in the 90 degree hole, on the frame rather than through the tubes it is about a 75 to 80 degree negative angle. It isn't as close with the Oneway compatible rest, so I slipped a piece of 1/2 inch plywood up against the pins and that sticks out far enough from the yoke to give about a 70 degree negative angle. Need to do some more experimenting with it though.

Dave, I do have a video up about using and setting up the robo rest. I am getting that put up on the store page eventually, and it answers pretty much all questions.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed
I'll be waiting to see that video. I haven't ground a NRS yet but will be doing so in the near future. So right now I'll keep it mounted dead center on the arbor and see how the angles work out. I really haven't had the time to play around with it too much yet. Just got it mounted yesterday. Very nice little unit!

Here is a link to a video from Boxmaster Tools and Jimmy Allen and Eric Loffstrom and their upside down NRS sharpening. Jimmy now owns D Way tools...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsatMuK1Ei8&t=14s

I have played around a bit with the upside down method, one that is also endorsed by Jimmy Clewes. Not sure about it or convinced yet, but will be playing with it at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium in March. Lots of booth time during class sessions....

robo hippy

Is there one for a wet sharpening system? I have one I put a CBN wheel on and run dry. Its awkward to use for some setups, especially since it rotates backwards to a regular grinder.

I did get the rotation problem on the jet sharpener fixed. The speed controller is right under the knob, I unscrewed the cover and swapped the leads to the plus and minus pins so the dc motor in it would turn the other way. Its a lot easier to control the grind when its not trying to pull the tool off the rest. Now if I can just figure out how to get a Robo rest or something like it mounted to it.

I do get a lot of people asking how wide the opening is and will they fit a 1 1/2 inch CBN wheel. They were designed around the D Way wheels, which were the first ones available to the turning market, though Optigrind may have been available over in Europe before or around the same time... Can't figure out why any one would want a 1 inch wide wheel any more..... I have never run off the edge of the wider wheels, though that was a some what regular thing with the 1 inch wide wheels, even when I switched to platform sharpening....

robo hippy

I read rave reviews for the Robo Rest and many references scrapers, does it perform well for gouges also? Thanks for the information, I just order one and the Robo Tool Rest also.

@Randall: They work perfectly with gouges. I use them constantly and without any problems. I have noticed one tiny issue with the largest version: If you take more than light cuts with the tool at the extreme end of the toolrest, there is a bit of vibration. On the other hand, if the toolrest was more massive, it would be unhandy if not useless. The top bar on alle sizes are still mirror-like after lots of use. It would be really sad if this design is not carried on by someone else.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Had mine for a few days now. Was great to be able to quickly set the angle and put a new edge on my chisels and block plane blade with my CNB wheel then put it right back for use with my NR scrapers. Much quicker and predictable than the manual platform and my little digital angle gauge - set, tighten lever, it moved, start again, etc... usually took me 4-5 tries to get it back to where it was manually.

I looked into making one for the Tormek. The mounting arm/bars are considerably above center, and it is too big of a diameter to be able to make it work as a protractor, which is essentially what my rest and Stuarts are. Still pondering that one, but as near as I can tell, it would involve making a separate mounting arm for the Tormek. That would add considerably to the price. I did send a comment to Tormek about it when asking about their diamond wheels and told them they should make one.

Thanks guys for all the good comments.

robo hippy
Hello Robo, any suggestions for where I could get one of your rests that work with the Oneway jig? Thank you

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Hello Robo, any suggestions for where I could get one of your rests that work with the Oneway jig? Thank you
If nothing else comes through, check out the kodiak system at woodturner's wonders , they have a similar tool rest that fits the oneway wolverine system.. I was tempted to pull the trigger on one, but then I heard in these forums that Robo Hippy is working on getting a fresh inventory of his robo rests done.. So figured I'd wait, but if I end up with extra money unexpectedly to put into tooling, and robo rests are not out yet, I may just grab a kodiak myself..

If nothing else comes through, check out the kodiak system at woodturner's wonders , they have a similar tool rest that fits the oneway wolverine system.. I was tempted to pull the trigger on one, but then I heard in these forums that Robo Hippy is working on getting a fresh inventory of his robo rests done.. So figured I'd wait, but if I end up with extra money unexpectedly to put into tooling, and robo rests are not out yet, I may just grab a kodiak myself..
Ive been watching the WTW system develop, looks like they take a lot of the guesswork out of it.

Back