• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety tip- chucks

Taking a break from the lathe and thought I would share this with the forum. I was getting ready to turn a piece of cherry, 3 inches diameter by about 7 inches long. This was in a chuck. I started to turn it at low speed and noted it was giving a noise that made me uncomfortable. It was as if it was out of balance/round. I stopped the lathe and began to check everything in sequence- chuck tight on the tenon, chuck adapter tight on the headstock, and when I moved the wood, I noticed some movement. I found that the chuck was not tight on the 1-8 adapter! I tightened the set screw and started again. Problem solved. I added this small part on the check list to review before turning. Now- back to the lathe.

Good for you for noticing something was odd and stopping to check it out. You're showing signs of mastery, Gramps!

Hi, Dean! Trust everything is OK up your way. Now, to learn to use a bowl gouge.

John,

Nice tip. Would a "grab-and-shove" test (grabbing the blank, and giving it a good shove-and-shake) have discovered the loose threaded insert?? That's my typical test after mounting a blank in the chuck, then, I do a full rotation (by hand) to make sure the blank clears the tool rest, bed, loose tools lying on the bed, etc.

Happy new year!

Hy

Hy Tran, it is now on the list of things to check every time I turn, whether a piece of wood is on the chuck or spur drive. I do the rest of the things you list. Can't be too careful. This is the first time this has happened.

Back