1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Spindle turning advice

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Joe Ruszczyk, May 3, 2020.

1. Joe Ruszczyk

Joe Ruszczyk

Location (City & State):
    Kentucky
    I am new to wood turning. Neither of my 2 cheap sets of tools have a roughing gouge! What do you suggest I use to rough out my spindles?

2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    :). Since you’re asking the question, a spindle roughing gouge- it s a tool I start beginners on. :)

since you don’t have one you should use a tool you are comfortable with.
    Bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew, ....

the important part with any tool is to cut perpendicular to the ways- cross cutting the wood.

to see how I use a bowl gouge( 1/2” Ellsworth grind, 5/8 bar diameter). to turn a cylinder from a square fast forward to 9:55 in my napkin ring demo.

three center turned Napkin Rings -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4tMzwh7jE

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  3. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    I do much of my roughing with a skew; for many things it's faster than a roughing gouge. The roughing gouge is one of the most user-friendly tools however, I'd strongly consider acquiring one.

4. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND
    I use a 3/4" spindle gouge. Works good, maybe a little slower. I do my best to remove all the bark first with a hammer/chisel as the sand in the bark tends to dull my tools pretty quick. BUT, I don't do large pieces, yet. For those, I might pick up a roughing gouge, eventually, maybe..... LOL