1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary Shop Down Time

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by William Rogers, Sep 17, 2020.

1. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    My shop will be idle for about 2 months. I normally wax all the steel components with Johnsons paste wax. Do you recommend doing more to prevent rust durning the down time?

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  2. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    That's what I did when I moved. Had to store it all in the basement which was moderately damp. It was down there almost 3 months before I was able to move into the new shop. The paste wax seemed to work perfectly

3. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    The wax should take care of the rust problem but what will you do for your mental heath.

4. Stan Semeniuk

Stan Semeniuk

Location (City & State):
    Edmonton,AB,Canada
    In the winter here I spray my lathe, jointer, bandsaw etc. with fluid film. It works really well but is a little messy. I have never thought of using paste wax how does it hold up through the long winter months?

5. Roger Domina

Roger Domina

Location (City & State):
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Johnson paste wax is what I use and it's served me well. Good luck Bill.