• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Back porch

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
As you may have heard, the Back Porch forum is closed indefinitely.
What started as an idea to allow people to socialize about off topics became a flame war and place to see if we could one up and goad people into getting upset.
Had enough, became a place that did set the AAW forums apart, a place that people saw and ran away from our forums. On that note, we will focus on what we know best, only woodturning.

Additionally, lately there have been a lot of questions to and about AAW deciscions, and all AAW news and questions will now be placed in the AAW Questions subforum (until I figure out what else to name it).

While I still feel if you have an issue, you should call the office, I am hoping (and I am encouraging) board members will hang out here and quickly answer your questions and calm any fears you have about the AAW.

As you may have heard, the Back Porch forum is closed indefinitely.
What started as an idea to allow people to socialize about off topics became a flame war and place to see if we could one up and goad people into getting upset.
Had enough, became a place that did set the AAW forums apart, a place that people saw and ran away from our forums. On that note, we will focus on what we know best, only woodturning.

Additionally, lately there have been a lot of questions to and about AAW deciscions, and all AAW news and questions will now be placed in the AAW Questions subforum (until I figure out what else to name it).

While I still feel if you have an issue, you should call the office, I am hoping (and I am encouraging) board members will hang out here and quickly answer your questions and calm any fears you have about the AAW.

Steve,
The Back Porch, started as a good concept, the result was something less. Your insisting on wood turning only discussions is the right course to take. It is the one place that the incredibly diverse membership can come together. Woodturning is something we all are trying to, to one degree or another, succeed at.

Forgive my cynicism, but I fear that the AAW Questions subforum maybecome just another place to "b***H" and second guess every decision the current and future board members make. I hope it does not become as divisive as the porch often was.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Steve,
Forgive my cynicism, but I fear that the AAW Questions subforum maybecome just another place to "b***H" and second guess every decision the current and future board members make. I hope it does not become as divisive as the porch often was.

The idea is to take all non-woodturning related posts and put it in a neat little place (so to speak).

KEW

Good call Steve.
Some of the threads were interesting, social dialogs, but the mean-spirited ones were truly sad to see among a group of what I like to think of as kindred spirits.

Good move, Steve.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm sure, but went downhill fast. The sad thing about it was that we're a fairly small community, and the flames have little effect. Better to utilize letters to local newspapers, and some of them have online discussion forums with even wider participation. Congressional staffs and local politicians sometimes visit or monitor them to get a sense of citizens' concerns; I'm pretty sure they never visit here.

And for those who must, there are a few Jokes forums too.

Might want to revise this forum title someday, I guess. Whatever seems best.

Joe

Guess it wasn't the place, but the people, eh? The planet probably added a fraction of a degree from the heat of the exchanges.

Sad to see it go, because it could have been fun talking a bit of fishing, kids, spouses, gardening and such other joys of life.

Herewith my farewell to something that could have been. In line with the woodturning only rules, note the popcorn bowl.

EDIT : Picture removed by request.

Last edited:
Howdy Steve: Kinda like a good cold beer on a hot Texas summer day - all good thing must come to an end. Good call. Ed

Pitty, it had to go the way of the Dodo. I rather enjoyed some of the posts.
If it became not to my liking, I just stopped clicking on the link. I reasoned its had to have an argument with just your self. The people that do, I give them medicine to help that.

Aaron

Back