• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The most useful dust hood holder is.....

What does everyone have to hold their dust collection hood for sanding dust? I tried a guitar stand (keeps falling over) then I was thinking of some way to mount the hose that is adjustable for height. I have seen a few commercial ones that are cheaply made and look like they would be a pain to adjust.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
John,

I made an overhead rig from scrap lumber. if you notice on the two photos showing the duct, there's a line showing, but what doesn't show is that it runs up through a couple of eye hooks in the ceiling and to a can of dried paint high tech latex polymer weight system :)

The weight allows me to position the duct right at the work and the blast gate allows me to turn it off when using other tools. Please pardon the mess but I've been busy in the shop. :confused:

IMG-1122.jpg

IMG-1124.jpg

IMG-1123.jpg

For a long time, I just used my banjo...spun it around so the tool rest was on the far side of the lathe. Attached hose from dust collector to the tool rest with a (no relation) Bungee cord. I didn't use a hood, just the 4" diameter hose which did surprisingly well at capturing dust. Draw backs were that it still missed dust, wasn't very adjustable, and inconvenient to go back and forth between sanding and turning.

About a year ago, I sprung for a Black Hole Dust Catcher system. Craft Supplies and Packard Woodworks both sell it. I got it on sale, but it's still pretty pricey. It works well...very adjustable to put the hood where you want it, and easily slides out of the way when not in use. There's a video on the Craft Supply site that shows how it works: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...-Catcher-System?term=dust+hood&term=dust hood

I'm sure you could assemble a good system for less money, especially at the current price. But it's worth considering if you want a turnkey solution.

Dave

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
For a long time, I just used my banjo...spun it around so the tool rest was on the far side of the lathe. Attached hose from dust collector to the tool rest with a (no relation) Bungee cord. I didn't use a hood, just the 4" diameter hose which did surprisingly well at capturing dust. Draw backs were that it still missed dust, wasn't very adjustable, and inconvenient to go back and forth between sanding and turning.

About a year ago, I sprung for a Black Hole Dust Catcher system. Craft Supplies and Packard Woodworks both sell it. I got it on sale, but it's still pretty pricey. It works well...very adjustable to put the hood where you want it, and easily slides out of the way when not in use. There's a video on the Craft Supply site that shows how it works: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/89/6387/hc-Black-Hole-Dust-Catcher-System?term=dust+hood&term=dust hood

I'm sure you could assemble a good system for less money, especially at the current price. But it's worth considering if you want a turnkey solution.

Dave

Just watched the video and that's a nice system.

Well, here is an older video I did about my dust collection system:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

I am in the process of 'new and improving' it. The problem with this one was that I didn't make it some thing that stayed in place, and had to set it up and take it down for sanding. So, the basic concept worked excellently. I went to the local plastic supply place and found out I could order 5 by 10 foot sheets of the plastic that the barrel is made from, so I ordered 2 sheets that were 1/4 inch thick. Next time, I will order 3/16 inch if it is available, or maybe even 1/8 inch. They are currently wrapped up, and I go back and cinch them up more tightly every day or three to get them to assume a more round shape. They will be screwed to the wall and a wood frame around the lathe, and I will have partitions for bowl sanding to more confine the dust plumes/clouds. They will be tall enough that I can stand under them without bumping my head, about 6' 3", and and I may even put a LED light under it for general lighting. The one in the video may go to the mini lathe, again, some thing I can leave in place while I turn. Oh, I will get some swimming pool noodles to cover the top edge. Shape will be a more open C shape, and possible drop down or slide on poly carbonate shield for when I am sanding bowls. I will do another video about the new versions, and have to build 3 total for my bigger lathes.

The entire concept is that the more enclosed your piece is, the more dust you collect at the source, and the less there is that goes into the air. I have seen cardboard boxes, lamp shades, and even plywood boxes. A club could probably do a group purchase on a few sheets of the plastic. I am considering a formed poly carbonate one for my American Beauty, which will probably be the primary demonstration lathe in my shop. they can bend that stuff, and you can see through it for demonstration purposes.

robo hippy

Ken Rizzo offers a lathe track system, probably originally for lights, with a dust collector attachment. With both components, it would be quite a bit less expensive than the Black Hole.

Does anybody have one of these? If so, how do they work?

First dust collection was a plumbers tripod pipe stand that I rigged up to hold a Grizzly Big Gulp and the DC hose. I hated it. The Big Gulp was hard to position correctly on the work. It was hard cleaning up around the tripod stand. The stand was in the way when I wanted to work on the lathe backside.

I thought for a while and came up with a really good system that I built from stuff laying around in the shop. I was all ready to start production when a friend told me the Black Hole system had beat me to market by a good two years.

DSCF0753.JPG
DSCF0754.JPG
DSCF0755.JPG

The aluminum extrusion is 1” X 1” but it is a little too small. I think 1-1/2” would be perfect. The metal 3/8” round piece is steel but should have been stainless steel to eliminate rust as I turn lots of green wood. I bought the black dust collector off ebay for just a few dollars. One knob that controls rotation has a thrust bearing to apply tension so I rarely have to turn the knobs. Other than the two details I described, I'm well satisfied with my build.

I too had a dust hood mounted to a tripod, then to a shop made rolling stand (didn't roll well unless the floor was spotless), then I got the Black Hole system. I wouldn't have anything else. The track mounted to my Jet, then to my Powermatic and now to my Robust without any issues. There is an option to use the brackets by drilling and bolting to the bed but instead I used the clamping option. The hood is just the right size and articulates up and down, sideways, front and back and twists. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the need ever arose.

Damon

I have had 3 iterations of my DC. One from the ceiling limited placement of the lathe. One attached to a drawer unit for mobility, with double joint adjustable allowed by pluming pipe.
Now I have my shop made hood attached to a jointed display from a phone supplier.

I use an old articulated arm computer monitor mount to hold the same rectangular Rockler dust hood. The monitor arm is clamped to a small saw horse. The monitor arm gives fine position adjustment, while the sawhorse allows for gross positioning.

Air flow is courtesy of 3HP DC and flex hose.

The system collects much of the sanding dust and very little of the wood chips.

I too had a dust hood mounted to a tripod, then to a shop made rolling stand (didn't roll well unless the floor was spotless), then I got the Black Hole system. I wouldn't have anything else. The track mounted to my Jet, then to my Powermatic and now to my Robust without any issues. There is an option to use the brackets by drilling and bolting to the bed but instead I used the clamping option. The hood is just the right size and articulates up and down, sideways, front and back and twists. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the need ever arose.

Damon

I just got the Black Hole system also, a little pricey but easy to mount and adjust. Since Craft Supply was offering free shipping I decided to pull the trigger. I really like it so far.

I put this together about 8 or 9 years ago - been in use ever since. Just a couple of scraps held together with stuff found in the ‘save for later’ pile. Held on with an unused magnet from a Moffet light. I can put it anywhere the magnet sticks and change out the DC fitting as needed. Pull the hose out of the clamp and use to vac up on the rare occasions that I cleanup. I use it on the bandsaw, too959CBEEE-991B-4D08-B18B-15E2DF4BC7AF.jpegF7ED99CB-B245-48CC-8C9E-66D4922C09B4.jpeg

I use 2.5" ID Loc-Line segmented hose for sanding. It can be bent at any angle and stays there until you move it. I mounted it on a piece of Superstrut electrical conduit channel on the side of my lathe and turned an adapter to my shop vac. However, they have all kinds of adapters to connect it to shop vac hose and PVC pipe. It works great. Forgive the mess and all the shavings - in the process of turning a bowl from a 200 year old oak log cabin beam. It is hard as a rock, a real challenge.

Link to Loc-Line with adapters - http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-25-ID-System/25-All-Parts/
Link to Superstrut - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...hannel-Silver-Galvanized-ZA12HS10EG/202714274

Loc-Line 1.jpg Loc-Line 2.jpg

I bought a 'Fulton Big Sweep Lathe Dust Catcher System' from Peachtree a year or two back. It is similar to the 'Black Hole' at Craft Supplies. Peachtree lists it for $199.99 (Black Hole lists at $199.95 on Craft Supplies website). I don't recall how much I gave for it, but I know it was on sale for a lot less than what they are listing it at today.

It works okay, but it not as beefy as the 'Black Hole' (another guy in our club has the 'Black Hole' and I was quite impressed with it). My biggest complaint about the Peachtree unit is the small knobs they use on it and the flimsy connection to the dust hood and hose. I replaced most of the knobs with levers, which are easier to loosen and adjust. Dust_01.jpg Dust_02.jpg Dust_03.jpg Dust_04.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the Black Hole dust hood kit. It mounts on any lathe (I would think). Connected to my cyclone dust collector with a HEPA filter, it collects virtually 100% of the fine dust while turning and sanding bowls. Even some of the smaller shavings are collected many times. It was easily mounted to my midi-lathe and would likely be even more suited to a full-size lathe. It is easily adjusted for bowl turning. I would imagine that, for spindle turning, it might be less effective, since you would not always be turning close to the hood. Maybe it could be equipped with a longer hood for that use. For bowl turning, though, I'm completely satisfied.

IMG_7192.jpg

I made this almost 20 years ago and it is still working well, now on my 2436. A 2x2 post in a bucket filled with bricks or sand and a swing arm of 1x4. The tubing is secured with some 14 gauge electrical wire threaded through holes in the arm. A piece of 1/2" hardware mesh on the tubing stops shavings going to dust collector. Very easy to move around and adjust. Photo is just a screen shot from my Picturetrail site.

I was looking for a way to capture some of the sanding dust and came up with this. I don't use the banjo while sanding so I built this contraption. I made it with a tablesaw dust collector plate, 2X4 scrap, a piece of galvanized pipe and a floor flange. It works surprisingly well and is fully adjustable. I have it connected to a 1200 cfm dust collector with a flex hose. The only drawback is that you can't easily go back to using the gouges after you start sanding.

Woodcraft will be glad to sell you the tablesaw dust collection plate that won't fit your tablesaw for about $11.00. The rest of the stuff is available in the bottom of your toolbox or at Home Depot.

DSCN1485.JPG DSCN1486.JPG

One thing I found with my setup is that there is no guard across the 4" opening. If the sandpaper gets away from you while you're sanding the bowl, it's gone. Time to get another piece of sandpaper.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thanks all for sharing! Does anyone (Mike P or others) have a diagram for the hoods you built??? I have tried google but couldnt find.. Thanks again!

You might want to look at galvanized register duct boots available at a HVAC suppliers. Many styles & sizes available. Tell them what you are looking for and I'm sure they would be very helpful. I have used mine for many years. My hose is 6" and drops from the ceiling. You can find many configurations ... I think most have a 6" inlet but you can use a 6x4 reducer if needed. Here is one example from Lowe's (look through all the pages to find something suitable). Helpful hint: use a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth over the inlet to avoid sucking in things like cloths, sandpaper, large shavings, etc.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-1...ed-Steel-90-Degree-Register-Duct-Boot/3664060

Mine like most evovled but this I've been happy with for several years. simple wood frame attached to my lathe stand. Loosen the knob and slide it forwards, backwards, and angle as nessesary.

Attachments

• 20170120_121258.jpg
    20170120_121258.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 113

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I covered the safety cage on my head stock with thick paper and hardboard and put a plastic wide mouth opening in the back with my 4" hose attached. Works well and can flip it up and out of the way and adjust height if needed. The small fan on top edge helps make a draft from top edge into the chamber. Only downside is if using while rough turning the big shavings get sucked against the cage grating and can clog it up but for sanding it sucks most of it up into the chamber. I know, one day I'll replace the blue tape with something more "professional". And yes, that's an old LED desk lamp screwed to the side. Hey, it works.

Attachments

• IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 133

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Just an old computer fan. Be SURE and put the grate or wire cover over it. I underestimated the little plastic devil and shortly after I put it in place my thumb hit the blades and took a good bite out of me.They spin fast and hurt.

IMG_7759.jpeg IMG_7761.jpeg
This is my recently finished dust hood. I've been thinking of this for a while as I wanted to get rid of the tripod stand because I was tired of moving it when I needed to sweep up shavings.
This shelf is bolted on with heavy duty brackets and uses a french cleat to hold the dust hood in position.
It slides along very easily and and sides open up or close down depending on the size of work. The 6" ducting with the bell mouth opening moves loads of air
It's great seeing everyone's different approach to this!
Cheers

Josh

Last edited:
Here’s what I use. The support rail and posts can be slid along the bed to cover inboard and outboard turning. They can be adjusted in and out to accommodate small and large diameter bowls. The 2 flex hose holders slide along the support rail easily to cover the length of a long spindle turning. On the outboard I slide both hoses into a dual hose holder to catch the dust from large platters.
10F4CF9F-A289-414C-B223-F9DCEBE41F06.jpeg F51F9E04-8385-4B28-9020-43490CA6247D.jpeg BE8D5784-9743-4529-85EF-CF5E2C784C84.jpeg

Last edited:
By now you have probably made or bought whatever you are going to, but I purchased the Black Hole kit from Craft Supplies USA for lathe dust collection. I have it connected to my cyclone. The kit connects to almost any lathe and it is very adjustable. May have been more expensive than making one, but I was up and running in minutes after receiving it. I will never be sorry.

Chuck Lobaito

AAW Board Member
John,

I made an overhead rig from scrap lumber. if you notice on the two photos showing the duct, there's a line showing, but what doesn't show is that it runs up through a couple of eye hooks in the ceiling and to a can of dried paint high tech latex polymer weight system :)

The weight allows me to position the duct right at the work and the blast gate allows me to turn it off when using other tools. Please pardon the mess but I've been busy in the shop. :confused:

View attachment 32960

View attachment 32961

View attachment 32962
I gotta make one of those

Here’s what I use. The support rail and posts can be slid along the bed to cover inboard and outboard turning. They can be adjusted in and out to accommodate small and large diameter bowls. The 2 flex hose holders slide along the support rail easily to cover the length of a long spindle turning. On the outboard I slide both hoses into a dual hose holder to catch the dust from large platters.
View attachment 34025 View attachment 34026 View attachment 34024

That's a great idea! <sneaks away with said idea>

Back