• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thompson Handles - Nose Size

Hello,
Very basic question - but I have not had any luck finding the answer. How do the nose sizes listed on the Thompson site for handles correspond to the chisels? For example, if I was to buy a 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/2" bowl gouge and 3/4" skew, which handles would fit (length being a matter of preference).

Thanks

A 3/8th would fit a nose of 3/8th, 1/2 would fit 1/2 and a 3/4" skew would fit a 1/2 inch nose...
As you said, length would be your preference. Cutting a cove or a bead with a spindle gouge involves large movements with the handle end of the handle,
so I would rather have a shorter handle, bowl gouge I'd rather have a longer handle for another reason, leverage, because of more tool over the rest...

See:
▶ SHANKS AND TANGS?
http://thompsonlathetools.com/faq/

Thanks. The answer indicates it was an even dumber question than I thought. I was expecting more interchangeability between tools which is I think what had me trying to make it more than it was.

Scott, not at all, I don't think it is a one question thing, but more of a thought process thing. The idea of having a handle for multiple tools makes sense at first but blocks the "flow" when you get in the groove. I'm sure there are some turners who get all they can out of one tool before moving on to the next. Not me, sometimes I don't even remember switching tools. So, for me anyway, having to stop to swap might lead to "making do", and I know from experience where that leads...
Not that I won't learn that lesson again... and again.... and again......

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks. The answer indicates it was an even dumber question than I thought. I was expecting more interchangeability between tools which is I think what had me trying to make it more than it was.

Switchable handles make a lot of sense for demonstrators who have to fly within the weight limits.

i have dedicated handles on all my tools except for hollowing and coring tools where it makes more sense to swap the tools in and out of the handles. These tools are Much easier to sharpen without the handles as the tools are sooo long with handles on.

a few really good turners recommend sharpening bowl gouges out of the handles because you have more control.
Most turners sharpen their bowl gouges in the handle because the convenience outweighs any real or perceived increase in control afforded by removing the handle.

@Scott, I think this is the information you're looking for. It's from the Thompson website. I had to add a skew to my cart to see the information page:

"Skews are made from 5/16 thick stock, all have a 6 inch blade length with a 30 degree front angle. The 1/2, 3/4 tools will fit a 1/2 nose on our handles and the 1″ and 1-1/4 tools will fit the 5/8 nose on our handle. The short point side is rolled on all skews"

In case part of your question comes from your hope to simplify your handle purchasing, it is possible to have one handle fit gouges of different diameters. You can buy a Oneway or Hosaluk handle, which have a different inside diameter at each end, or you can buy adapters, such as those provided by Trent Bosch and other manufacturers.

Actually, your question isn't dumb at all. I just got an email advertising the new tool handles from Robust. They use an interchangeable collet system that comes in two different lengths and includes 4 different sized collets that allow you to use one handle for four different diameter gouges.

Actually, your question isn't dumb at all. I just got an email advertising the new tool handles from Robust. They use an interchangeable collet system that comes in two different lengths and includes 4 different sized collets that allow you to use one handle for four different diameter gouges.

Actually not new . Brent was selling them at TAW in January 2019

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

The Robust collet sets are available in ER25 and ER32. Each set includes four collets. The smaller ER25 set includes four collets ranging from ¼" to ⅝". The larger ER32 set includes four collets ranging from ⅜" to ¾". Unless you really need the ¾" size collet, I would recommend getting the smaller ER25 set. You make your own handle.

Back