• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool Grinder mounted On Lathe?

0697A03D-0B3E-4A4D-AA7C-30FCB1278CE3.jpeg I’m running out of room in my shop for the Rikon grinder and Pro Grind sharpening system that arrives Monday. To keep it handy when turning I’m thinking of mounting the grinder on a hinged swing-up shelf attached to one end or the back of the lathe base.

Is this a crazy idea?

Welcome to the forum. Yes you can do that but I would not suggest it. You want your grinder convenient and having to pull a shelf up is not. You could add a shelf at the end of your stand and that will work so it is ready when you need it.

I agree with Al and Gerald, Tom. My grinder is two steps away from my lathe behind me on a work table. Welcome to the forum Tom, you will get a lot of help from many experienced turners on this forum that have many years of experience. Happy turning!

I would think that you would find it in the way more often than not. You may want to have a rolling cart to have your tools on as you turn. Pretty easy to set the grinder up on the cart and have shelves of tools underneath. I have a couple of the wire frame shelf systems on wheels that I use all over my shop. My new shop has plenty of room though.

robo hippy

My grinder sits on a shelf under the lathe. My wife found some heavy coated material and made a nice cover for it. My TS is on wheels- move it and put the grinder on it, plug it in and turn and grind away!

I put my grinder on a pedestal stand. It doesn't take up much floor space, which is important to me since space is at a premium. It's close to the lathe and can be moved if necessary. I bought mine at a local flea market but new ones are less than $100.

E5D48F54-3383-4E3A-8708-811963F3C2E0.jpeg Well, the more I looked at building a rolling cabinet with drawers on full extension slides, considered the material cost and time commitment the less I liked the idea.

Then I saw this tool chest side cabinet at Harbor Freight (I know, Tools for Fools). However the build and material quality of this cabinet is top notch. I added casters from a H.F. moving dolly and wah-la, I had my base. Functional, quick and purdy too.

I mounted the grinder on maple plywood raising it up to clear the Pro-Grind sharpening system.

Some of you know I had trouble getting the wheels to run true on the new Rikon grinder. I’m generally good at working through those types of problems. But even using all y’alls suggestions and after three days I’d had enough and ordered CBN wheels from WoodTurners Wonders.

My goal of getting off cheap was out the window. Probably twice into the grinding station then my lathe cost. But what a joy to use.

Tom, you may find the grinder to be too far back from the edge of the cabinet. I can't recall the specifics any longer, but I remember running into problems with handles hitting the edge or something like that and having to move mine forward. It could have been free-hand sharpening gouges, back in the day, which wouldn't affect you.

I'm so glad you guys talked me out of mounting my grinder on the lathe. Now that I've used it on the mobile base I'm realizing what a cocklemaney idea that was.

Back