• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

trend-airshield replacement faceshield

I have an old Trend Airshield and the front shield plastic is starting to crack from old age. I looked at the following site for parts < http://airwareamerica.com/trend-airshield-replacement-parts/> but they do not seem to have any. Has anyone a spare (not the pro version)?

I could fabricate one but would have to buy a sheet 24" x 48" for over &100.00. I need 12.5" x 8.5" or so.

Is there another brand I could purchase and cut to fit? Has anyone else had this problem?

I mainly use this mask when turning very dry dusty woods and sanding, for other turning I use a standard type shield for woodturners and a standard N95 mask if required.

I have already modified this unit to use D batteries in a separate housing in my pocket for fan power.

I do not want to pull equipment or material from health care workers at this time so I am in no rush.

Stay Healthy,
Stu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I searched all the usual places including Trend and the conclusion is that the original AirShield is obsolete. You could do what I did once for my Airstream ... make your own visor. Get a small sheet of polycarbonate the same thickness as the current visor. Use the old visor as a pattern for making a new one. If you have a scrollsaw that is the easiest way to cut out the new visor. Use a file or sandpaper to clean up the edge. Hopefully this will put you back in business.

I also looked in all the usual places and could not find a replacement. (including the suggestions above, thanks.)

I sort of hoped someone had one that they had no use for before I made one.

I guess I'll need a source for the material, the one I found was over $100.00 for a sheet that was way too large for what I need. I"ll look around but there is no rush at this time.

Thanks,
Stu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
@stu senator a potential source for material would be a basic faceshield. If you can find one with a larger visor than the one on your Trend Airshield then you can cut it to the size that you need. To prevent scratching the material while cutting it to size you can use 3M Painters Tape.

I looked at the shield I use, a Uvax, it fit the overall dimensions but the corner cuts make it too small.

I was going to buy a sheet of .032 or .040 lexan and make a new shield. As I only use this mask for sanding and very light cuts on dusty wood the lack of certification should be OK.

However a sheet 2' x 4' is in the $20-30 range but with the shipping and tax it is over $63.00

I will do as I have done since the Trend shield broke and continue to wear a N 95 mask under my Uvax.

Thanks to all for the suggestions but the Trend will be retired.

Stu

Back