• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Lessons. Get Them Sooner than Later

Just had my first turning lesson all day last Tuesday. I have been turning regularly for a little over 1.5 years now, learning as I go and from You Tube and Forums, like this one (as well as my turning club, only recently).

The lesson was invaluable. I was fortunate enough to win a turning lesson with our club President who is a long time excellent turner. He was able to correct my bad habits that I have developed in the last 1.5 years. I intend to practice what he has taught me so I don't revert to my bad habits. We started with spindle turning in the morning and finished with bowl turning in the afternoon.

I still need lots of practice; but, I am on my way to becoming a better turner, having l, learned the fundamentals correctly now. However, bad habits are hard to break, and it will take PRACTICE of the correct methods.

By the way, the Club I have found is about an hour away from me, and it is a great new club. The members are fantastic. I have since joining the club now had the opportunity to turn on 2 wonderful lathes, a Robust American Beauty and a Vicmarc VL300. Great lathes.

The gist of my thread, if you haven't guessed by now :D, is get a turning lesson(s) sooner than later. Bad habits are difficult to break.

There were a lot of things I had to figure out on my own when I started because we didn't have a club, and I know the internet existed then, but I didn't use it. With an instructor, you can make huge leaps in terms of refining technique and mechanics of turning.... Now, I mentor a lot, just because it is fun...

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Dan - your experience is so typical.

I had a very basic (scrapers only) guidance from the adult education shop teacher and then was on my own for a long time with a few books.
Got really good with spindles just sort of ok with bowls.
Then a class with Liam O’Neil in 1994 and another with David Ellsworth in 1995, What a difference! In 1996 In was invited to teach at MD Hall.

Almost all of my beginning bowl students left the last class (8 evenings of 3 hrs) better bowl turners than I was when I took Liam’s class.

"Each one, teach one." I joined AAW a few years ago and find that the club demonstrations are worth every penny. I have approached the demonstrators and asked questions along with others. Watching and listening for those few minutes are rewarding. A symposium is good if the expense is in the budget.

I started using gouges in August of last year. In January, I took a 3 day class with David Ellsworth. What a difference it makes. My only limitation is practice, I feel pretty comfortable with the gouge now. I plan to take another one in 2019, trying to decide with whom and what can I build on what I have learned so far.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al,

Do you publish your class schedule somewhere?
Fadi,
I stopped teaching at MD Hall in 2004 when we moved to Florida.
These are MD Hall Classes - currently taught by Chuck Engstrom
https://www.marylandhall.org/classes/141/752/247

I was doing a couple of classes a year in my shop for a while but stopped a few years ago because I don’t have the time or desire to prep the wood.
I refer Student inquiries to Rudy Lopez who lives fairly close by and is any excellent teacher.

I still do a little teaching - you can win a day in the shop with me at the Florida Symposium.
I do a few mentoring sessions with club members and workshop for my club where other club members prep the wood.

Back