• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Upgrading to a larger lathe

I am relatively new to woodturning and currently own a Jet 1221VS and a Nova Comet II lathe. I am looking at a larger lathe, the Laguna Revo 15/24. It has a little bit larger swing and distance between centers, but not too large to fit into my small shop. Does anybody have any experience with this lathe or comments, or any other lathes I should consider? Thanks

I have little personal experience with Laguna lathes, but nothing bad to say, either.

If you're looking to compile a list of similarly sized lathes to consider I would include the Nova Saturn (or the 1624 with DVR upgrade' which I have).

Nova has a lot of features which appeal to me. The DVR system for speed control has great range and functionality. The headstock rotates instead of sliding, which I like. A swing away and bed extension are options taking the chore out of storing the tailstock.

One downside with some of the Nova products is that the blister type buttons can be difficult to actuate. It's a problem with the upgraded 1624, but the Saturn may be better (the Galaxy has better buttons).

The upgraded 1624 is another option that could save money, but I don't recommend the plain, belt drive, 1624.

Nova also has a new model called Orion that may be replacing the Saturn, but I have not had an opportunity to look it over.

IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0169.JPG I purchased a Jet 1640EVS several years ago with the swivel head and it has not give me any trouble at all. I use it every day an really put it through it's pace's! :D I also have a small basement shop as well and the 1640 fit's in well.

The difference between a 12" throw and a 15" throw is fairly modest. A goodly portion of the guys on the forum are serial tool buyers, so the 15" lathe may just be a step on your path. However, if you are thinking you would keep and use this lathe for a long time, and you see yourself doing bigger pieces than 13" diameter, maybe a Big Lathe is the way to go. Powermatic has a 2020, and Oneway has something in a similar size. If these are possibly more than you want to spend right now, saving a little longer or buying used might be your best option. Isn't it fun to have too many choices? :rolleyes:

I haven't used the 15/24 but I own it's little brother the 12/16. I bought it about 8 months ago and love it. It's the perfect size for the things I turn. I upgraded from Rockler's Excelsior lathe, so for me the 12/16 was a big jump. Looking over the 15/24 it seems pretty similar to the 12/16. The variable speed controller and digital display are nice. You still have to adjust the pulleys but not as much compared to something like the Excelsior. The banjo and tailstock are both pretty heavy duty and easy to move and manipulate. The bed is nice and wide.
I don't like Laguna's wheel system, to me, it seems like an after thought. The wheels are too small and the clearance on the bottom is too small. The spring on the lever isn't quite strong enough so the lathe tends to fall when you release the lever. I had to use the Laguna wheel system with the 12/16 but looking at the 15/24 you may be able to use a different brand or build your own.
Also, the 1 hp motor on the 12/16 seems a little under-powered, it can bog down on larger pieces of wood (10") if I take too deep of a cut. Hopefully with a 1.5 hp on the 15/24 you won't have that problem. And last, the off button is on the left side so I find myself having to use my left hand (I'm a righty) or reach across to turn it off, which slows my response time down a bit. I wish it had a button on the right. I think I'm going to add another switch on the right.
Over-all I'm very happy with it and glad I purchased it. BTW, Laguna is running a 10% sale until May 31st, enough of a discount to cover the taxes. :)

All, Thanks for all the tips. Mark, I think I am beginning to see the limitations of my Jet lathe. I don’ envision, at least right now, that I would be turning long items, such as table legs. The Saturn seems to be out of stock on several websites that I have looked at so far. Also the Orion seems to be so new that it is not really available yet. I am squeezing my budget at $2000, that is why I am looking at the Laguna. Charles and others, the footprint of the lathe is important also. That’s why I am looking at the 1524. I have a small shop so wheels are a must. Thanks to everyone, you all have given me more things to think about.

. Conner and others, the footprint of the lathe is important also. That’s why I am looking at the 1524. I have a small shop so wheels are a must. Thanks to everyone, you all have given me more things to think about.
I hear ya! I have a garage shop so everything needs to be mobile. I would build your own wheel base verse shelling out a couple of hundred dollars for the Laguna one.

Here is a Grizzly 16x24 for $1600. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-16-x-24-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0838

I have the Nova Galaxi 16x44, which appears too long for you. The Orion appears to be the same motor as the Galaxi/Saturn but the hs & ts are raised 1” for 18” swing, the hs swivels but does not slide.

I run it on 120v and dont have any problem with it bogging when roughing large stock or coring.

Back