• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum chucks

In the Tips section there is a great thread from Jeff and John Tolly on vacuum chucks. Since I knew nothing of the subject it put me on the path of quick learning.
Yesterday, a buddy of mine brought over a vac. system he had put together for some flat work. It is a bit different than I have seen on the Web so I will pass it on. He has a salvaged refrigerator vacuum pump, 1/4 HP, connected to an empty propane tank, and the tank valve connected via a 3/8 ID in hose to the rotating adapter. When I first saw it I was a bit skeptical but on the first try it is fabulous. The big difference is that when the elec. power fails (often in VA) the vacuum in the tank gives you plenty of time to carefully stop the lathe and remove the workpiece. No panic, no lost pieces and no sweat! The gauge is on the tank so it is easy to see how many inches of HG your system is holding. Having done about 3 platters in the last few hours I will say it is quite a wonderous transition! Thanks, Bob Wilkes, MIT engineer par excellence! Phil

Vacuum chuck Lessons Learned

Just a quick addition to the body of knowledge. I have a roll of shelve-covering foam that turns out to be a real wonderful sealing material between the vacuum chuck and workpiece. It is obviously closed cell material. I cut a circle a bit larger that the chuck face, put a hole in the center, and just mount it on the interface between chuck and piece. Works wonders to hold the vacuum and sure beats the o-ring I had been using. Try it! Phil

The pump you described sounds like the one that www.joewoodworker.com explains how to build. The reserve tanks also allow a pump to cycle on and off if you need it too.

I haven't built one yet, but am looking at doing it.

Back